Ian Duncan Smith condemns tax credits as 'not fit for purpose'!

:o

I'm gob smacked that a family on £42k could get £250 per month, there's no wonder the countries broke.

I'm assuming they have children and that is why.

I got tax credits last year (only £13 a month, but still), but I didn't get any this year because I'm slightly above the threshold, but still not very well paid :(

:o

I'm gob smacked that a family on £42k could get £250 per month, there's no wonder the countries broke.

When we were claiming our combined income was way more than that but we also had a lot of childcare to pay for. We were getting a few quid, not as much as £250 though.

After our brush with the HMRC investigators we stopped bothering. Like SevenRivers said it was a relief not to have to fill in those ridiculous complicated forms.

---------- Post added 31-12-2012 at 19:34 ----------

It wasn't this governmnet that failed to police them.

They have the option to punish the bankers. They aren't doing so.

The cost of childcare is often why WTC is paid, especially in working, single parent families. I'm at a loss to know why 15 hours free childcare from the age of three is offered to all children. Perhaps the costs could be reduced from an earlier age if it was only offered as help for lower paid working parents. Why does a non-working parent need childcare?

The cost of childcare is often why WTC is paid, especially in working, single parent families. I'm at a loss to know why 15 hours free childcare from the age of three is offered to all children. Perhaps the costs could be reduced from an earlier age if it was only offered as help for lower paid working parents. Why does a non-working parent need childcare?

I’m at a loss to understand why free child care is offered at all, it’s better for the children and society if one of the parents stays at home to care for the children.

Increase thresholds and give tax allowances for children and marriage.

Simples............[i think we may have been there before til some bright spark changed it all...

Don't tell me .... You're married with 5 kids?

---------- Post added 01-01-2013 at 06:10 ----------

Well, look at that, a politician trying to persuade public opinion and turn people against each other to make the changes easier ... surely not! IDS or Keith Vaz, ever the attention seeking self-publicists. They even look alike.