If you were American, would you support greater gun control in the US?

Should gun ownership be more strictly controlled in the US?  

130 members have voted

1. 1. Should gun ownership be more strictly controlled in the US?

• Yes
    • No
    • Not sure

But as America is the size of Europe you are hardly comparing like for like. There have been a couple of mass shootings in the UK in the last decade which would put it on a par with the situation in the States.

Are there less mass shooting incidents in Europe than there are in America?

How many more countries do you want to add-on before the numbers become equivalent, and when we do can we ask you to add on Mexico as a counter argument?

How would you propose to take the 350 MILLION guns that are in circulation in the US out of circulation?

Why does every Swiss male own a gun yet has nearly zero gun crime?

I said it in the other thread but there were 9000 gun deaths last year but 32000 deaths caused by cars.Which would you prefer to ban?

simply put because there not american :loopy::loopy::loopy:

and guns wld be the obvious answer really

How many more countries do you want to add-on before the numbers become equivalent, and when we do can we ask you to add on Mexico as a counter argument?

Well if Scotland had 10 murders out of the UK's total of 500. If Scotland left the UK that would mean the UK only had 490. Would that make it a safer place to live?

But as America is the size of Europe you are hardly comparing like for like. There have been a couple of mass shootings in the UK in the last decade which would put it on a par with the situation in the States.

Are there less mass shooting incidents in Europe than there are in America?

You might want to brush up on your maths a little. America's population is roughly 5 - 6 times the size of ours, I don't think "a couple of mass shootings in the UK in the last decade" puts it on a par with USA when compared to 16 mass shooting over there in the last year alone.

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 20:51 ----------

Well if Scotland had 10 murders out of the UK's total of 500. If Scotland left the UK that would mean the UK only had 490. Would that make it a safer place to live?

Why change it to murders? You were talking about mass shootings

You might want to brush up on your maths a little. America's population is roughly 5 - 6 times the size of ours, I don't think "a couple of mass shootings in the UK in the last decade" puts it on a par with USA when compared to 16 mass shooting over there in the last year alone.

But if we add liz's selective murder rate to the total as well as the massacres then I would hazard to guess the US would well outstrip Europe anyway, let alone the UK. And to be honest I can't be arsed to do the maths on that one.

[/color]When have I said this,in regard to this particular question from Cyclone

Wow, an odd thing happened there, even though I corrected Cyclone (telling him that I asked Old Tom this question, not you) I somehow got you and Old Tom confused myself (your posts).

My apologies Buck, that was my mistake

Wow, an odd thing happened there, even though I corrected Cyclone (telling him that I asked Old Tom this question, not you) I somehow got you and Old Tom confused myself (your posts).

My apologies Buck, that was my mistake

No Problem, Roots, I get a bit confused at times. Goes with the age I guess.

---------- Post added 07-01-2013 at 14:59 ----------

simply put because there not american :loopy::loopy::loopy:

and guns wld be the obvious answer really

Where not American? Oh there, but they're doing better here.

It was indeed a simple question, and a simple answer. Yes I supported gun control but not a total ban. That's why I asked you what you wanted. Enough said.

---------- Post added 06-01-2013 at 14:57 ----------

I wouldn't pick and choose, I'd just get the hell out of there quick as my legs could carry me. Wouldn't you? I'm no coward, but neither am I stupid.:)

It's not like someone burst in and you get a choice of which weapon they have, the question is which you would prefer them to have.

Personally I'd prefer them to have a blade. I believe a poster many pages earlier was claiming that a knife is more dangerous because it doesn't run out of ammo.

HuffPost article -

Megabanks, China, "murder pills", communists, the US government and Piers Morgan are all conspiring to take away America's guns in order to destroy its people - according to a bizarre pro-gun rant by radio shock jock Alex Jones on CNN.

Jones, who runs Infowars, began the petition to deport Morgan for his anti-gun campaigning in the wake of the massacre of 26 people, including 20 children, at Sandy Hook school in Newtown, Connecticut.

Throughout the debate, Jones roared over the top of Morgan, blaming "suicide and murder pills" and "megabanks who control the planet" for the violence in America, and claiming the UK had a higher violent crime rate since the government "took away the guns".

Piers Morgan is an avid campaigner for gun control

Morgan pointed out the UK's annual gun murder rate of 35, compared to more than 11,000 deaths caused each year by guns in the States, but Jones said he was unconcerned by Morgan's "little factoids".

"They've taken everybody's guns, but the Swiss and the American people," he said. "True, we have more gun violence, but you have more muggings, deaths, stabbings.

"That woman [in India] was raped to death with a four-feet iron rod, you can't ban the iron rods.

"Hitler took the guns, Stalin took the guns, Mao took the guns, Castro took the guns, Chavez took the guns and I'm here to tell you, 1776 will commence again if you try to take our guns!

"It doesn't matter how many lemmings you get out their on the street, begging you to take their guns! We will not relinquish them, do you understand?!

"The republic will rise again if you try to take our guns!"

@piersmorgan

Piers Morgan

Comforting that @RealAlexJones personally owns 50 firearms, isn't it.....

January 8, 2013 4:16 am via web Reply Retweet Favorite

Blaming many of the murders on "gangbang violence" and drugs like Prozac, Jones yelled: "The US number one killer is suicide because they give people mass murder pills. I want to blame the real culprit! Suicide pills! Mass murder pills!"

Jones was skewered by Morgan in the second half of the debate on his views on 9/11, which he believes was a plot by the military and the US government. Answering Morgan in a mocking, high-pitched, faux British accent, Jones said: "Hitler burnt down his own Reichstag didn't he?"

Shock jock Alex Jones, who was on Morgan's show

Jones also took Morgan to task for his editorship of the Daily Mirror and attempted to link him to the News International hacking scandal. He said: "They arrest people in England if they defend themselves, that’s on record. My God, you have a total police state.

"Everybody is fleeing the country because — you’ve had to flee, bud. Yeah, you fled here. Why don’t you go back and face the charges for the hacking scandal?

"Why did you get fired from the Daily Mirror for putting out fake stories?

"You think you’re a tough guy? Have me back with a boxing ring and I’ll wear red, white, and blue, and you’ll wear your Jolly Roger."

Shortly after the interview on Piers Morgan tonight, Politco reported the White House's response to the petition, which gained more than 100,000 signatures, well over the 25,000 required to warrant an official White House response.

White House spokesman Jay Carney said: "The White House responds to all petitions that cross the threshold and we will respond to this one.

"In the meantime, it is worth remembering that the freedom of expression is a bedrock principle in our democracy."

Watch the footage here - http://www.huffingtonpost.co.uk/2013/01/08/piers-morgan-alex-jones-gun-control-cnn_n_2429847.html?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl1%7Csec1_lnk2%26pLid%3D144950

EDIT - just seen this is also on the Piers Morgan to be deported thread - Mods please feel free to delete .

Edited by mikem8634