Have a spare bedroom??

Have a spare bedroom?

Why not give it to an exchange student who would like

to come to England to get to know the British way of life?

I am searching for families that would like to host a foreign exchange student for 5 - 10 months. The students are in the age of 15 - 18 and come from all over Europe, Australia and Brazil. They have been interviewed and tested and they all speak good English so there won't be any communication problems. The students arrive in January or September of every year and they attend a local secondary school. They would like to come to England to get to know the British way of life. Naturally there is a monthly payment for the maintenance of the student but it also is a great experience for you, your family and the exchange student. You don't have to finance your student in any way because s/he will have sufficient pocket money for entertainment, school midday meals etc. There is always help if there should appear any problems during the stay of the student.

If you are interested or if you have any questions please contact me.

Thank you and Merry Christmas :)

Mandy Spang

Mandy, how do you get around the potential problem of a young woman/girl as young as 15 being at risk in certain stranger`s homes? Just saying we have to be very careful. Even Uncles & step fathers have been known to go down that route. How do you protect the student? It is a real responsibility.

Hello Mart,

of course we protect our students and we take our responsibility very seriously. Our organisation has more than 30 years of experience in exchange programs all over the world.

An area coordinator (which is what I am) visits the potential host families, interviews them and inspects their homes. They have to go through tests and checks. They will also be asked for character references from such persons as employers, members of the clergy, and prominent members of their community or social, civic or collegial organizations, and, in compliance of the law, police background checks, which our organisation automatically makes available and also takes over the administration process. For students younger than 15 years and 11 months, it is required to complete a special fostering form, which our organisation also organises for the host families.

So please don't put any more negative posts on here, I am just trying to find nice families that are interested in our program. Thank you.

I think Mart made a valid point and for potential hosts there are many hurdles to clear plus a period of forensic investigation.This would put off many I believe although I concede such checks are imperative.have you considered paring up the youngsters for both companionship and mutual protection?

The students are in steady contact with their coordinators. If there should appear any problems our office and the coordinators are there to help. The coordinator also visits the students every month at their host families house to make sure they are happy and they feel comfortable with their host family. Our office tests and interviews the students to see if they are suitable before they are accepted to become an exchange student. They also have to attend an orientation camp before they first meet their host families. Our company has a lot of experience, we will make sure that we find the right host families for our students.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mandy1988 View Post

They will also be asked for character references from such persons as [..] members of the clergy

Fail safe.

Winner......:hihi:

It's a great responsibility for the family taking on these kids, we've done it in the past and looked after kids from Sweden, Germany and Spain............it's great fun and very rewarding although it feels sad when they have to go home.

We are still in contact with some of "our kids". Loved every minute of it.

Thank you mumkin. These experiences are what our programme is about :) we want to create friendships between different cultures and countries. I am from Germany and I love to live here in England. I want to help other young people to experience how great living in England can be.

Moderator note:

Should you wish to help the Original Poster in her search for suitable families to host the students, please PM her. I am closing the thread, as various comments have not been strictly on-topic.

To the OP I wish you every success in finding suitable families for your students.

Regards

Pete