Should patients pay for their 'lifestyle-diseases'?

What do Muslims have done that is equivalent of circumcision? I have never heard of that.

The Islamic faith believes circumcision is purification and the removal of the foreksin makes it easier to keep the old man clean because urine won't get trapped there, the preferred age is just 7 years old but for many it can be just 7 days old!

Female Circumcision is most certainly genital mutilation. There can be no doubt about it.

OK- I agree with that.

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 12:08 ----------

The Islamic faith believes circumcision is purification and the removal of the foreksin makes it easier to keep the old man clean because urine won't get trapped there, the preferred age is just 7 years old but for many it can be just 7 days old!

I thought that the preferred age for Moslem circumcision was 13 (ref. Ishmael)?

This page...Yuk :gag: I can even smell something :hihi:

This page...Yuk :gag: I can even smell something :hihi:

Wash it then !! :gag:

Thought they already paid for it with various taxes and dutys etc, etc

I don't understand the thing about circumcision. Did people used to die because they had foreskin in the olden days? Why many years ago, did people risk destroying a mans sexuality to do it, before anaesthetic and sterilised equipment. I understand not eating pork, or touching dogs. Because long long ago, pigs were full of diseases that killed people rapidly, so the safest way to save lives was to ban it. And equally in the olden days dogs frequently had rabies so killed many people quickly, and the thing about taking your shoes off at the door started to save lives because people sat on the floor and ate on the floor, with their hands. But what is the motivation for potentially castrating men. I don't understand what started it, sex and procreation are basic human nature, why risk it?

Wash it then !! :gag:

Following that advice would get rid of the claimed need for male circumcision.

Following that advice would get rid of the claimed need for male circumcision.

No, if you know anything about the non-religious (i.e. health) reasons: VD/STD/AIDS won't be removed by washing.

Plus the religious requirements are entirely unconnected with health reasons.

Plus: that's all entirely unrelated to the thread topic.

OK- I agree with that.

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 12:08 ----------

I thought that the preferred age for Moslem circumcision was 13 (ref. Ishmael)?

Think it varies amongst different segments of Muslim communities but their peckers are generally circumcised before puberty.

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 20:20 ----------

I don't understand the thing about circumcision. Did people used to die because they had foreskin in the olden days? Why many years ago, did people risk destroying a mans sexuality to do it, before anaesthetic and sterilised equipment. I understand not eating pork, or touching dogs. Because long long ago, pigs were full of diseases that killed people rapidly, so the safest way to save lives was to ban it. And equally in the olden days dogs frequently had rabies so killed many people quickly, and the thing about taking your shoes off at the door started to save lives because people sat on the floor and ate on the floor, with their hands. But what is the motivation for potentially castrating men. I don't understand what started it, sex and procreation are basic human nature, why risk it?

I agree but we just have to except that religious folk are probably always gonna be a bit primitive and barbaric.

No, if you know anything about the non-religious (i.e. health) reasons: VD/STD/AIDS won't be removed by washing.

So perhaps that's why it started men's dicks were falling off left right and centre and Jonah sitting beneath the pineapple tree thought it was caused by the foreskin harbouring disease, so the old men whose dicks had fallen off, chopped off a bit of the young mans member.

In terms of 'Identifying with the aggressor' and beating people because 'I was beaten senseless and it didn't do me no harm' I am amazed at how this is seen in documentaries about female genital mutilation, where elder women organise and do this to the female children, because it was done to them. Its hard to understand why the older women do this in such an organised way to young girls. Why they don't say 'No, that hurt me, I'm not doing it to my daughter'. Because it is clearly acutely painful and damaging for life.

Just remember that smoking tobacco and drinking alcohol is legal in this country.

I also remember that although I do not drink alcohol, and I do not smoke, either, by dint of the shockingly high taxes and revenue charged on domestically-bought tobacco products and duties on alcohol, many people who do indulge in tobacco and alcohol pay for the medical treatment for my genetic illnesses...

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 22:35 ----------

People who eat fatty food run a higher risk or heart issues or Colorectal cancer.

Smokers run a higher risk of lung cancer

Women who don't have children, or are not on the pill run a higher risk of ovarian cancer Vs those who do.

All these lifestyle choices can lead to serious health problems, should they all pay more for their treatment?

a) some women don't have the choice when it comes to being childless. One in ten couples has fertility problems.

b) in my family there is a genetic predisposition to thrombosis, including my cousin being hospitalised twice with a DVT, the first time aged just 19. making things like taking the pill extremely dangerous (well, contraindicated really!). (and the risk is elevated in relatives, too)

---------- Post added 11-12-2012 at 22:39 ----------

Well, given that Muslims and Jews don't pay to have genital mutilation performed on their babies, I doubt we can expect anyone to pay for essential and/or beneficial surgery/treatment!

In this country and the USA, baby boys were circumcised as a matter of routine, whether the male child was born into a Jewish, Muslim, Christian or non-religious family.

Although circumcision is not as prevalent in the UK, these days, it's still quite common in the US.