Supertram priority

Out of interest, there's an article on selective vehicle priority available on line that covers a lot of further benefits, as well as drawbacks obviously, for selected systems. http://www.its.leeds.ac.uk/projects/spruce/utmc1rev.html

One of our admin team says there is a "Bus" priority scheme on the A61 in Woodseats somewhere that does not get very good reviews ?

One of our admin team says there is a "Bus" priority scheme on the A61 in Woodseats somewhere that does not get very good reviews ?

I think it's on the way down to Woodseats from Norton roundabout just past Morrisons - it's a while since I've driven down there so not sure what the traffic is like these days but there often used to be congestion on a Saturday morning - not sure the bus priority had much to do with it t hough

I am a car driver and a supertram user and have often wondered what the legal position is of trams blocking yellow boxes? I am thinking in particular of the yellow box near the Malin Bridge tram terminus where trams frequently block it,causing traffic jams delays and inconvenience there, especially to the cars trying to exit Ball Road which cannot get through here.

its about time something was done,i live on a tram route and occasionally use it...but,i have to wait daily with hundreds of other vehicles(busses included) along the route,while a half empty tram(off peak)sails past.

Hillsborough corner is a joke,I've seen trams snarl it up cutting off whole suburbs,i would love to see how huge the carbon footprint of all this trafic is.

as for quick,middlewood to town tram 20 mins,bus 10 mins,middlewood to meadowhell a full 40 mins compared to 10 mins in a car,

at rush hour you are lucky to get on one if its not at a terminus,

BIN THE SUPERSCAM,GET SHEFFIELD MOVING AGAIN

Considering the thousands of single occupant private vehicles on Sheffield's inner roads every morning/evening :

Are they all commuters/shoppers travelling to/from Sheffield city centre ?

If they are, where do they all park ?

If some are not, why are they there ? Do they contribute more or less to the traffic congestion than the trams ?

But the extra 10 minutes is not down to Supertram, is it? And if it's not due to Supertram, why is it getting the blame?

I didnt blame the tram did i,i just said missing a turn at the lights can be a bit irritating when youve just taken 45 minutes to travel 4 miles.Im aloud to mutter to myself if i want in the privacy of my own car.Why there seems to be more traffic on the roads during winter im not sure but thats why it takes a lot longer in winter to get home.You got shares in the tram or something?.

---------- Post added 29-11-2012 at 20:56 ----------

I am a car driver and a supertram user and have often wondered what the legal position is of trams blocking yellow boxes? I am thinking in particular of the yellow box near the Malin Bridge tram terminus where trams frequently block it,causing traffic jams delays and inconvenience there, especially to the cars trying to exit Ball Road which cannot get through here.

They do that often at hillsborough corner as well blocking all traffic trying to get on holme lane.Obviously the box junctions dont apply to them,just every other road user.

I don't know the legal situation, but

If the traffic ahead is so built up that there is not enough room for the tram to get completely across the box junction, and so the tram waits, and the lights change against it (I don't know if that happens or if the lights stay in favour of the tram until it does cross). But assuming the lights go through a cycle, then the Holme lane will again fill up with new traffic, and so when the lights again change in favour of the tram there will still be nowhere to go, and the tram would need to wait again. That could go on for an hour or so in the morning.

However, if the lights stay in favour of the tram until it has crossed, then it doesn't really matter whether it waits before the lights or blocking the box junction, the other traffic is held up either way.

I don't know the legal situation, but

If the traffic ahead is so built up that there is not enough room for the tram to get completely across the box junction, and so the tram waits, and the lights change against it (I don't know if that happens or if the lights stay in favour of the tram until it does cross). But assuming the lights go through a cycle, then the Holme lane will again fill up with new traffic, and so when the lights again change in favour of the tram there will still be nowhere to go, and the tram would need to wait again. That could go on for an hour or so in the morning.

However, if the lights stay in favour of the tram until it has crossed, then it doesn't really matter whether it waits before the lights or blocking the box junction, the other traffic is held up either way.

I think it's buses waiting to go into the exchange when its busy that blocks the trams route.A few months back somebody was knocked down and the tram pulled into the box junction knowing full well they weren't going anywhere.The tram singlehandedly brought Hillsborough to a stand still.

I think it's buses waiting to go into the exchange when its busy that blocks the trams route.A few months back somebody was knocked down and the tram pulled into the box junction knowing full well they weren't going anywhere.The tram singlehandedly brought Hillsborough to a stand still.

I was commenting on Malin Bridge, but see you point regarding Hillsborough corner.

I travel through here most evenings (from Owlerton Green towards Malin Bridge, but occasionally turning left to head towards Walkley). The traffic regularly backs up from the bus exchange, with cars turning left (as I sometimes do). What is the tram driver to do? If he waits, he could finish up waiting for a lot of sequences of the lights (assuming they will continue to sequence if he is waiting at the lights – i don’t know how the priority is operated). He could be waiting for an hour or so at night, in turn holding up buses behind him – and possibly even the traffic on Middlewood road that cuts over towards Holme Lane to avoid the bus gate (I’m not sure of the name – is it taplin Street?). I never travel on that section of Middlewood Road, so don’t know how busy it gets.

I’ve been blocked by the tram on a few occasions as he has straddled the junction (both the one from Middlewood, but also the one from Malin Bridge), but I don’t know what else the tram driver could do, other than block the junction until his exit is clear. That doesn’t excuse him blocking the junction if he knows that it is not likely to clear anytime soon.

Edited by Eater Sundae