Scattering ashes

What does it matter where you are scattered or buried?

When your dead your dead.

ive been thinking, can you have your ashes scattered in the peace gardens or is it a no go zone for that type of thing?

Why not compromise and have just a little bit scattered,say under a shrub That way you would know it was there without it bothering anyone else

There are very few rules around this kind of thing.

It is, for example, legal to be buried in your own back garden, so long as you steer well clear of springs and wells (Environment Agency give advice on this).

As for ashes (not actually ashes as usually understood at all, but fine bone fragments), they are potentially a pollutant, so you could be in trouble for scattering them in the wrong place, such as in rivers.

Basically, you're supposed to get the landowners' permission to do anything on their land (no different to littering, otherwise). Some landowners, including owners of beauty spots, may refuse permission for reasons that ought to be obvious. The majority of people are now cremated after death, so you can imagine that in some popular places the scattering of ashes could become a serious problem (phosphates in cremated bone are not good for plants, for example - not necessarily because it kills them, but because it overstimulates them).

See: http://www.scattering-ashes.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2010/03/GEHO0306BKIK-e-e.pdf

Love the scene in the Big Lebowsky where they're scattering Lenny's (?) ashes on the cliff top!

Gotta agree with this! I've got a pretty good sense of humour, but for some reason, rarely laugh out loud ('LOL' as it's known on here, I understand).

G/F (girlfriend) and I recently watched 'The Big Lebowski' (TBL) ... never seen it before, and I actually did LOL! (Laugh out loud)

I'd rate this as the third best film I've ever seen ... another Coen brothers, 'Fargo' coming second with Tarrantino's 'Inglourious Basterds' number one by a long mile.

Anyway ... back to the scattering of ashes. What's in 'em? Nothing dangerous so far as I understand ... basic stuff like carbon, potassium, gold etc. Just chuck it wherever you like. Who could complain? Re-cycling. :)

you have missed the point of what i am saying entirely.

I don`t think I have.Saying you are sorry when you know the thing you are doing is wrong is hypocritic.

A few years ago I was up at the top of the Cairngorms with my family when a woman scattered an urn of ashes alongside us without warning. The stuff went straight into my eye. Pretty sure she didn't ask my permission. Don't think I was that angry but I can definitely see dead people :) It would be nice to be scattered wherever we like when we are gone.

I've had the unfortunate experience of scattering ashes in recent years.

I was never given instructions on where is allowed or isn't allowed.

Mum is scattered at the very place Dad first met her in the countryside....and where I'm expected to take Dad one day.

The wife was (at her request) scattered in the garden of rememberance at the Crem.

The crem....now that kind of spoils the argument some are making about being harmful.

The place is full lush green grass and flowers in abundance.

And no doubt.....many other ashes are scattered there with no harmful effects.

I'm going to have my ashes scattered at Forge Dam I think, so watch out if you're playing in the Porter Brook downstream.

Mel....are you wanting them to cremate the coat as well....or will you be donating that to Rich :hihi:

I'm going to have my ashes scattered at Forge Dam I think, so watch out if you're playing in the Porter Brook downstream.

You might want to wear some cremated water-wings if you're not a strong swimmer ... they're just about to get the water wheel up and running again further downstream! :)

And the water is not always that clean. Some kind of incinerated typhoid vaccine might be in order.Better safe than sorry.