Website owners, get with the mobile trends!

Hi there

I've looked through many websites here and found that a lot of people aren't implementing toned down, mobile versions of their websites. It's something that you should really look into having done, and it shouldn't be expensive. Mobile websites are an investment, not an expense.

So, it's all great. You've had your website developed and you now have your online presence. But did you know, according to latest Google statistics, 47% of local (the people you NEED to target) Google searches are made from a mobile device? And to top that off, 2/3 people who visit a site on their mobile that aren't met with a mobile optimized website hit the back button and go to one of your competitors? Mobile websites should contain the best bits of your website, the most important bits, no more and no less. Optimisation for quick viewing and delivering the important information is the key to conversions and getting more business.

Just a friendly tip for you all out there. You can do a bit of research into the subject, but as a heads up, if you don't have a mobile optimized website you are missing out on local leads, and these are generally the most profitable for most businesses.

I'd like to hear other website designers views on the subject. Should a business be using a mobile website in line with their full website? Is it something you pro actively offer? Personally, I chuck one in with the full website, or charge very little for what it's worth. And business owners, how do you see mobile websites in your eyes? Do you need one, or is it just an expense for you?

I think everyone knows that having a mobile site is important, the difficulty is finding someone who will make a mobile version of your site without charging you a fortune and actually knows what they're doing.

I don't think mobile sites is something that has quite kicked off yet. It should be though. Mobile websites are what contribute to converting (if we're going by Google statistics) 47% of your customers. Anyone without a mobile website is throwing business away really.

47% sounds waaay too high for most businesses. For restuarants, definitely.

Hi there

I've looked through many websites here and found that a lot of people aren't implementing toned down, mobile versions of their websites. It's something that you should really look into having done, and it shouldn't be expensive. Mobile websites are an investment, not an expense.

So, it's all great. You've had your website developed and you now have your online presence. But did you know, according to latest Google statistics, 47% of local (the people you NEED to target) Google searches are made from a mobile device? And to top that off, 2/3 people who visit a site on their mobile that aren't met with a mobile optimized website hit the back button and go to one of your competitors? Mobile websites should contain the best bits of your website, the most important bits, no more and no less. Optimisation for quick viewing and delivering the important information is the key to conversions and getting more business.

Just a friendly tip for you all out there. You can do a bit of research into the subject, but as a heads up, if you don't have a mobile optimized website you are missing out on local leads, and these are generally the most profitable for most businesses.

I'd like to hear other website designers views on the subject. Should a business be using a mobile website in line with their full website? Is it something you pro actively offer? Personally, I chuck one in with the full website, or charge very little for what it's worth. And business owners, how do you see mobile websites in your eyes? Do you need one, or is it just an expense for you?

Source of Google information Adam, a link maybe of use?

Edited by Bass Man
update

Ill grab the video published by Google which supports this. But remember. We are talking local, geo targeted searches. Not standard web traffic. Hence easier to find customers that are local rather than finding businesses in different cities.

I always switch to the full site, I hate mobile sites.

They were good in the old days of wap, but today no thank you.

If it's a business on the street, it also wants all flavours of geotags so the web knows where it is on the map. A postcode is not sufficient.

Basically. When you search on a mobile, geo tags automatically searches locally. For example, if I type in "takeaways" or any other keyword, it will automatically look for the takeaway nearby by using the phones location. With this a website owner can target their website to a specific local area, and rank for results locally driving targeted visitors. Therefore having an increase in sales of a product or device as they are targeted customers that are looking to buy something in the niche they specified.

I think everyone knows that having a mobile site is important, the difficulty is finding someone who will make a mobile version of your site without charging you a fortune and actually knows what they're doing.

Its not expensive, have a look at ours on a mobile and see what you think. You can get to our website by clicking on my signature. People aren't very likley to search on a mobile in my sector as we are business to business so its likley to be an Environmental manager or purchasing manager sat at their desk whois doing the search. It wasn't expensive so we thought we would do it. I can put you in touch with the person if you want to. He worked as an employee in the industry for many years but set up his own business quite some time ago.

We have just started another business that is more likley to be dealing with individuals rather than businesses so we will have a mobile website done at the same time as our main website.