Cars blocking driveway, would the police do anything?

Olive

Seems like a petty thing to be calling the police about, but I'm getting fed up of it happening.

Parking's always an issue around here on match days, I expect it, but I don't expect people to park over my driveway (with my car on it). Yesterday I was meant to travel over to see my family, but was delayed by about 3 hours as I couldn't get the car out.

I thought about calling 101 but it seemed a bit OTT. Would it have done any good? Put a note under their windscreen, but it won't stop the next person doing it.....

Seems like a petty thing to be calling the police about, but I'm getting fed up of it happening.

Parking's always an issue around here on match days, I expect it, but I don't expect people to park over my driveway (with my car on it). Yesterday I was meant to travel over to see my family, but was delayed by about 3 hours as I couldn't get the car out.

I thought about calling 101 but it seemed a bit OTT. Would it have done any good? Put a note under their windscreen, but it won't stop the next person doing it.....

If your car is blocked on the drive again phone 101, I'm sure they can tow it away but not 100% sure.

Parking in a manner which prevents you from getting out of your own driveway is obstruction. The police can and should issue a Fixed Penalty Notice to any offending vehicle.

If this happens again and you can demonstrate that the vehicle is preventing you from getting you vehicle out of your driveway, ring 101 and specifically request that a police officer attends to issue a Fixed Penalty Notice for obstruction.

i'd of rung them, i don't care if they thought it was petty or not. i'd suggest on matchdays you park your car in front of the drive before anyone else can, not ideal but it would stop anyone blocking you in

It is illegal to deprive someone of getting onto the highway so if your car is on the drive then it's a matter for the police. If you can't get back onto your drive then it's tough.

I concur. This happened the other year to my neighbour, whio couldnlt get his car off the drive on a match day due a car parked right outside his house. He rang the police, and they actually towed it away to a compound (where the collection fee is something like £100).

But the police said that if he'd been trying to get onto his drive, then it wasn't obstruction as far as they were concerned, and they wouldn't have taken any action in those circumstances.

Edited by redrobbo

i'd of rung them, i don't care if they thought it was petty or not. i'd suggest on matchdays you park your car in front of the drive before anyone else can, not ideal but it would stop anyone blocking you in

I know, I should have done really, but I thought I was giving myself plenty of wriggle room - it was well before 2pm!

Thanks everyone for the replies. I'll be taking a tougher stance in future, see what happens (so much for polite notices under the wipers - this one was screwed up and thrown on the ground.....)