Treatment of horses

Im hoping someone can explain something to me.

Ive just seen a horse rider seemingly being too rough with his horse. He was putting much effort into pulling the reins back as hard as he could which looked like it was causing the horse discomfot. The horse then started to rear up (after lots and lots of pulling by the rider) then the rider punched it in the face.

Now i know its a horse and not a person but can someone tell me if this is a recognised way to handle one?

Im ignorant of whats the right or wrong way as i dont ride, it just seemed way over the top.

Ta :)

There is a chance the guy was being too rough with the horse but there is also a very good chance this guy knew the horse was about to do something that could have been dangerous to both the horse and himself and maybe others.

I was thinking that myself.

My problem is that he just seemed generally too rough.

My passenger remarked that he was pulling the horse too hard and hed better be careful.

This went on for a minute or two, THEN the horse started to rear up and thats when he chinned it.

I don't care what anyone says, punching an animal is unacceptable

Thats my feelings too. But like i say, perhaps its a recognised way of managing a horse.

They are massivly strong animals and i doubt it would have hurt it. Maybe someone on here who has them can put me right.

It just seemed cruel to me.

I was heavily involved in horses many years ago, almost became a Jockey infact. I have to say, from my experience the only thing to happen from treating a horse this way you're going to get yourself bitten, and possibly arrested for animal cruelty!

I was heavily involved in horses many years ago, almost became a Jockey infact. I have to say, from my experience the only thing to happen from treating a horse this way you're going to get yourself bitten, and possibly arrested for animal cruelty!

Ah, well it was a copper i saw doing the hitting so the chances of him getting arrested are pretty slim.

:o

Thats pretty disgusting, I'd have took his collar number and reported him

:o

Thats pretty disgusting, I'd have took his collar number and reported him

I would have dont but i was waiting at lights on the opposite side of the road so it wouldnt have been possible.

Gutted that i didnt get it now if im honest.

I don't care what anyone says, punching an animal is unacceptable

What if it's a shark that's about to bite you?

Horses are very powerful animals and I doubt the horse was harmed at all. If it was a police horse the officer was ensuring the horse was aware of what was needed. It may have looked harsh but the horse will have been uneffected.

I can't even begin to work out your reasons for this thread, but it sounds like a total fabrication to me. If you'd started out with all the facts, I might have more belief.

But anyway, if it was in Sheffield, with a description of the time and place and the horse, they'll soon be able to find out who was out with that horse.

Not acceptable behaviour from anyone but with a highly trained, professional police rider, not a chance it happened like you said.