ECU Remapping questions

So we recently bought a new car and we are possibly looking at getting it remapped so I would like to ask a few questions regarding this.

The car we have is a peugeot 307 1.6S 06 PLATE which I know is no performance car and we don't wish it to be we are just looking at a remap for possible improve in fuel consumption.

My questions are as follows:

In lame man terms what actually happens when they remap the ecu?

Secondly what sort of % improvement on fuel consumption should you expect to see.

Thirdly what should I be expecting to pay to have her properly remapped.

A remap would not get you alot of mpg... the best outcome would be about 3-4 mpg more and about 8-10 bhp more ... at the cost of £200

please have a look at my web site for more info on remap http://www.sltrd.co.uk

The best thing you could have done is have your car terraclean results are outstanding!!! regain performance and restore mpg

hope this helps

Thanks for your reply i appreciate you taking the time to do that.

What is terraclean and what does it cost?

A remap would not get you alot of mpg... the best outcome would be about 3-4 mpg more and about 8-10 bhp more ... at the cost of £200

please have a look at my web site for more info on remap http://www.sltrd.co.uk

The best thing you could have done is have your car terraclean results are outstanding!!! regain performance and restore mpg

hope this helps

Just had a look at that what % could you realistically expect to see in when it comes to improvement on fuel consumption.

here is there web site http://www.terraclean.co.uk and it cost a round £90

Just had a look at that what % could you realistically expect to see in when it comes to improvement on fuel consumption.

That terraclean may well work but at £90 the fuel saving wouldn't even cover the cost of treatment ! If say you did that every 6 month :o

You can do most of what that does with a £1 can of carbon clean and a little time and effort with a socket set. I took my EGR ,inlet and throttle apart on my car 2 weeks ago used carbnclean and a toothbrush and made them factory new.

I run the engine on shell V-power so the injectors are getting cleaned as I drive too.

As for extra power and MPG why not mod your own cars engine with a chip ? I'm not talking about a Micky mouse push in resistor mod on your fuel sensor. I bought a steinbauer proper chip and the results are crazy. You could even flash you own engine for under a tenner with a kwp2000+ off eBay that come with 20,000 flash files.

Is it the 1.6 diesel? Do you know if it's the 90 or 110 bhp model?

The 110 diesel is pretty powerful and decent on fuel. I get over 650 miles out of a tank of regular local driving.

The 90 bhp is a little sluggish and can benefit from a bit of extra power.

Personally I'd start with a full filter change, change the paper air filter for a Pipercross or K&N washable filter. And I'd strongly recommend Millers EcoMax in every tank, along with Shell fuel. I've given up on supermarket fuel now.

As for a remap, I probably wouldn't bother. If it is the diesel it may upset the engine management system and particulate filter and you'll start to get "anti pollution fault" on the dash, as a few other 307 owners have. Then you'll start looking at the blanking off of the EGR valve and removing the DPF system completely.

Whatever you do, don't buy a cheap ECU reader and mapper tool off Ebay and do it yourself. If you want to know why, head over to peugeotforums.com and have a read of the threads where people have screwed up their cars doing that.

Its a bit late now but you really should have looked for the 136bhp model if you needed more power.

Don't use K&N filters on diesel cars however as they will destroy your engine, they are only for use on petrol. They might sell them for diesels but don't buy them. The filters are coated in a light red oil that slowly gets drawn through your airflow system and the oil coats the sensors, this then can make the sensors fail due to gunking up.

Don't use on diesel.

I'd have to disagree with that.

First of all, K&N produce a filter specifically for diesel 307s. K&N do rigorous testing of their filters, so it's not just a case of making one to fit an airbox and leaving it at that.

Secondly, my old Pug 307 had one fitted almost two years ago. It's done about 45,000 miles since that time and never missed a beat.

I would say that its one of those false rumours that circulate the internet:

http://au.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20080724143819AA8jLmG

http://www.knfilters.com/diesel/diesel_pickup_trucks.htm

So we recently bought a new car and we are possibly looking at getting it remapped so I would like to ask a few questions regarding this.

The car we have is a peugeot 307 1.6S 06 PLATE which I know is no performance car and we don't wish it to be we are just looking at a remap for possible improve in fuel consumption.

My questions are as follows:

In lame man terms what actually happens when they remap the ecu?

Secondly what sort of % improvement on fuel consumption should you expect to see.

Thirdly what should I be expecting to pay to have her properly remapped.

is this intentional? :hihi:

That terraclean may well work but at £90 the fuel saving wouldn't even cover the cost of treatment ! If say you did that every 6 month :o

You can do most of what that does with a £1 can of carbon clean and a little time and effort with a socket set. I took my EGR ,inlet and throttle apart on my car 2 weeks ago used carbnclean and a toothbrush and made them factory new.

I run the engine on shell V-power so the injectors are getting cleaned as I drive too.

As for extra power and MPG why not mod your own cars engine with a chip ? I'm not talking about a Micky mouse push in resistor mod on your fuel sensor. I bought a steinbauer proper chip and the results are crazy. You could even flash you own engine for under a tenner with a kwp2000+ off eBay that come with 20,000 flash files.

I'd recommend not using those free "tuned files" unless you know what you are doing and can check the file first. I've seen some what would lose you power and some that would destroy your engine.