City centre living, moving back to Sheffield

lucymamba

You speak from experience of living in the city centre?

I had friends who lived above Sakushi (on Campo lane, behind the cathedral), they've moved now, but they were there for 5 years or more.

They never complained about any noise, had a designated parking space, and generally enjoyed being in the city centre.

It was quite a nice flat, 2 bed, reasonable amount of space.

As I've said, my experience was the same - same with all my friends who live/d in the city centre. Negative comments tend to come from people who make assumptions about what it's like to live there.

I guess though, as with any place that there are good and bad places - and the bad places probably are a bit like that!

There's nothing wrong with city centre living if it suits your lifestyle and the location is quiet enough, but close enough to the amenities it offers.

My friend has an apartment in Manchester. He doesn't drive and works locally and has no need for a place in the 'burbs with a garden or driveway, so there's no point in him moving there and having to spend extra time and money getting into work and depriving everything that's on his doorstep, including similar individuals to himself.

Perhaps the naysayers are just jealous that they didn't have city living when they were young and single?

Thanks again, some really useful stuff. Know where to look out for when we're closer to coming back. Am going to go for a nosey at Kelham Island (not been since I was little and went to the museum!) and some of the other spots people have mentioned.

The boyfriend is amazed at some of the rental prices being a Londoner all his life, love it! Similar costs to apartments in Norwich it seems though. Any ideas roughly what kind of council tax costs we would be looking at in a 1 or 2 bed flat in the center? Know it'll vary but not sure what band they're likely to fall into.

I lived in a couple of different flats in West One over the seven I spent living in Sheffield. The only noise complaint I ever had was with the Tramlines festival. The flats were well made and during normal weekends I had no problem withnoise.

The rent may be a little higher than living further out but when I took into account the savings on taxi fares from nights out and no travel cost to work or University then living there was ideal for me.

I'm quite amused by some peoples opinion of what city living is. I bought my apartment because it offered a great location, good security and the type of low maintenance property as well as amenities that I wanted and could afford.

I would recommend West One, it isn't full of students. The block above the car park entrance is a student block, everything else is privately rented.

I agree

city centre living is really just a con, for pretentious snobbish people

Sorry, who's the snob making comments like that :rolleyes:

There's various nice places but some aren't that well built so you'll get noise from other flats. I'm happy where I am, 5/10 mins from pretty much everywhere in the city centre. There's noise sometimes from drunken types but as I wear earplugs (because of the noise from neighbours in terraced houses) anyways it never bothers me.

Give it a go, 6/12 months, if you don't like it you can move :)

As an alternative I lived around Woodseats for 3-4 years. Nice place but I kept moving because of the noise of neighbours.

Archived