Getting a council house in Sheffield

Its as though they are resigned to the fact that they will never be in a position to rent privately

I've had friends who have been living in lovely private rented homes, but couldn't wait to get a council house. They all reckoned it was down to the cost being cheaper, the tenancy being more secure, and being able to do what you want to the house, in the way of decorating etc. They all seemed to think council housing was a step up from private renting!

Bascially, anybody who is registered on the council property list can bid on a property but a person/family with 'priority' will be offered it first.

Most adverts will state "Priority or estimated waited time 5 to 10 years" This means if somebody with a 'priority' status has bidded on that particular property then this will be given to them in the first instance and if a priority person hasn't shown interest in that property then it will given to the person/family who have been on the council list for the longest amount years. However, there is a 'first come, first served' section of properties but these are mainly aimed at over 55's.

I'm a 23 year old single woman and can't afford private rented accomodation. I've been on the register since I was 16 and have been bidding on all 1 & 2 bed flats in Sheffield every single week since February 2011 and haven't been offered anything! I was assessed last year to find out if I could become a 'priority' and was told you are only granted 'priority' if you are a single woman and pregnant, homeless, an immigrant or an ex-offender. I'm actually thinking to give up now as it doesn't look like you get a chance if you're not priority! :(

Bascially, anybody who is registered on the council property list can bid on a property but a person/family with 'priority' will be offered it first.

Most adverts will state "Priority or estimated waited time 5 to 10 years" This means if somebody with a 'priority' status has bidded on that particular property then this will be given to them in the first instance and if a priority person hasn't shown interest in that property then it will given to the person/family who have been on the council list for the longest amount years. However, there is a 'first come, first served' section of properties but these are mainly aimed at over 55's.

I'm a 23 year old single woman and can't afford private rented accomodation. I've been on the register since I was 16 and have been bidding on all 1 & 2 bed flats in Sheffield every single week since February 2011 and haven't been offered anything! I was assessed last year to find out if I could become a 'priority' and was told you are only granted 'priority' if you are a single woman and pregnant, homeless, an immigrant or an ex-offender. I'm actually thinking to give up now as it doesn't look like you get a chance if you're not priority! :(

You do have a chance if not priority, even if its a slim one. I think that legally, at least 25% of the properties have to go to people based on waiting time, not priority. You're just unfortunate that everyone has more waiting time than you - are you definitely bidding on EVERYTHING, or being a bit area specific?

I have 10 years waiting time, and got offered a house a few weeks ago. Bids had ended on it in May and I had forgotten about it completely. Then they ring me at the end of July and offer it to me. On viewing it was a state. I could see why it had been turned down by every other bidder. Its now been back on the property shop site twice since as a readvertisement! I'm not desperate enough to have taken it but I thought someone must be, with all these people desperate for 3 bed houses.

You do have a chance if not priority, even if its a slim one. I think that legally, at least 25% of the properties have to go to people based on waiting time, not priority. You're just unfortunate that everyone has more waiting time than you - are you definitely bidding on EVERYTHING, or being a bit area specific?

I have 10 years waiting time, and got offered a house a few weeks ago. Bids had ended on it in May and I had forgotten about it completely. Then they ring me at the end of July and offer it to me. On viewing it was a state. I could see why it had been turned down by every other bidder. Its now been back on the property shop site twice since as a readvertisement! I'm not desperate enough to have taken it but I thought someone must be, with all these people desperate for 3 bed houses.

I know there's a very slim chance but it just feels like it's never going to happen. I bid on every 1 & 2 bed flat in the South and Central Sheffield areas the only reason being, I work on this side of Sheffield and I don't have any family/friends on the North side so it would cost me more money to live out there as I would have to pay travel costs everyday and in the long run it would be cheaper to rent privately :(

There's been loads of re-advertisments that I bidded on first time round and I've bidded again but still no joy! Hey-ho, maybe one day :)

I know there's a very slim chance but it just feels like it's never going to happen. I bid on every 1 & 2 bed flat in the South and Central Sheffield areas the only reason being, I work on this side of Sheffield and I don't have any family/friends on the North side so it would cost me more money to live out there as I would have to pay travel costs everyday and in the long run it would be cheaper to rent privately :(

There's been loads of re-advertisments that I bidded on first time round and I've bidded again but still no joy! Hey-ho, maybe one day :)

Thats where I'm going wrong I reckon, I'm being a bit area specific, I have to really, for work and schools, but luckily I'm not desperate right now, although a bit overcrowded, we can manage :) Shame I live in one of those areas where council housing really is few and far between these days.

Thats where I'm going wrong I reckon, I'm being a bit area specific, I have to really, for work and schools, but luckily I'm not desperate right now, although a bit overcrowded, we can manage :) Shame I live in one of those areas where council housing really is few and far between these days.

Yeah I think you're probably right and I'm not desperate right now as I've been waiting for a good couple of years so I'm just gonna keep saving and look into some other possibilities like maybe house sharing which isn't ideal but will keep costs down etc

I've also turned a house down through Acis at Woodthorpe. The area wasn't ideal to start with, but the house didn't have a bath, which was the main issue. With kids I don't think I could manage with a shower only. I was the highest waiting time bidder on that one, with first pick, I would have had 9 years at that time. It went to someone who registered in 2009 instead.

Is it me or do some Sheffield residents thinks its their god given right to be given a council property?

Its their first thought when they are old enough to be put on the register at 16.

Its as though they are resigned to the fact that they will never be in a position to rent privately or buy their own property. What a sad attitude!

I think you've totally misunderstood what people are complaining about.

People with years and years of waiting time can't get a house because they're all going to pregnant 17 year olds, drug addicts, people with half a dozen kids, immigrants and anything else deemed as 'priority'.

Lots of these people are playing the system and stopping genuine people who've waited a long time to get a house.

And a council house is a definite step up from private renting. PR you pay someone elses mortgage whist not being able to do a thing to the house to make it how you want it. Magnolia walls and cheap carpet anyone? ;)

None of the above applies to me now because I own my house, but I understand why people are so aggrieved. Once upon a time I tried to get a flat, but 15 years on the list was worthless because they all went to scrubbers who were given everything from the state, including their rent money.

Rykneld housing who offer properties in Derbyshire, have a priority for people who have family ties in the area, which I think is a reallly good idea - they do also have the usual priority part, but someone who had family or been brought up in the area would get first choice, this could work with Sheffield couldnt it??

Rykneld housing who offer properties in Derbyshire, have a priority for people who have family ties in the area, which I think is a reallly good idea - they do also have the usual priority part, but someone who had family or been brought up in the area would get first choice, this could work with Sheffield couldnt it??

Acis HA have the same scheme

Posted from Sheffieldforum.co.uk App for Android

I think you've totally misunderstood what people are complaining about.

People with years and years of waiting time can't get a house because they're all going to pregnant 17 year olds, drug addicts, people with half a dozen kids, immigrants and anything else deemed as 'priority'.

Lots of these people are playing the system and stopping genuine people who've waited a long time to get a house.

And a council house is a definite step up from private renting. PR you pay someone elses mortgage whist not being able to do a thing to the house to make it how you want it. Magnolia walls and cheap carpet anyone? ;)

None of the above applies to me now because I own my house, but I understand why people are so aggrieved. Once upon a time I tried to get a flat, but 15 years on the list was worthless because they all went to scrubbers who were given everything from the state, including their rent money.

You do realise that "being a druggie" isn't one of the qualifying criteria for being classed as "vulnerable" and being allocated priority, don't you?

Also, as has been explained times-many, neither does "being an immigrant".

just FYI.

Can anyone please tell me about council housing in Sheffield and how it work

I have been on the list for a short time hear at Rotherham

I have been into there office and they told me even though I am homeless I do not qualify as a priority need for housing as I don't have any special needs and don't have enough ties to Rotherham

They told me it is a 10 year weighting list implying I have no chance

Unlike the last council property I rented in Eden district you would put your name down to which areas you wanted to live at

Rotherham council have changed there system completely where you have to go online and you are allowed to bid up to 3 property per week so you cant just say I will take the first empty one that no one ells wants

How dose the Sheffield council work

is it all done online?

Do they have a big weighting list?

do they priorities for homeless?

Thanks

Batista230