Who remembers Stooers

Remember Hayward Rd a steep hill with a chip shop at the right hand side queued outside for them to open. I had to walk through Loco club to get to Pye Bank school remember the air raid shelters in the school yard. Tupholmes was on Pitsmoor Rd. waited in bitter weather in January for the sale to open. I'm sure there was a Chinese Restaurant at the top of Fowler St on the left probably the first in Sheffield. I had to go to the butchers on Saturdays to get 2lb of best stew meat I think it lasted us all week. My mum stayed loyal t' Stooers until she died a couple of year ago at the age of 92.

I got to reminiscing about the chip shop you mentioned. It was owned by a guy called Broomhead, I can see him now, little whippet kind of bloke, chipping the potatoes with one of those old fashioned,heavy, cast iron gizmos. Proper chips. His daughter or his wife worked in there with him. There was always a big crowd around the shop, he did well there, had the edge on the White House over the hill. I remember the wall outside, about three foot high, if you fell over you were dead, about a twelve foot drop at the deep end on the other other side. We used to practice our 'commando' escape jumps on that wall, which entailed sliding down head first with your left arm down the wall as far as you could go, holding on the top with your right, then flipping over your legs, hopefully landing on your feet. Nobody dared do it at the deep end.

My mum (81) still refers to the co-op in Woodhouse as the stoo-ers!

I thought it was only my mum that used to shop at Stooers (co-op) when we lived at Pitsmoor a long time ago. Does anyone remember Bladens on Fowler street.

They also ran a 4d club, you could have as many 4d "shares" as you wanted or could afford, it was paid out just before Christmas so much in cash and the rest in vouchers which had to be spent at the Stooers. I know some weeks it was a struggle to pay my club money but was I glad to draw the money for Christmas. Happy days and memories. Also I seem to remember you could have coal delivered and the coal man gave you a receipt and you could pay so much a week and when it was "paid up" you could order some more coal.