What to do with £80,000 ?

What would you do with £80,000 ? What is the best thing to do with it, how much interest would you get a month leaving it in a standard account and what would be the best account to stick it in for a year ? Thanks for any info.

A cash ISA may get you 3% but you can't put more than £5,640 in this year. Most saving accounts are less than that, about 2.5% for a decent one which, after tax (at 20%), would give you £150 pcm.

Edited by max

A cash ISA may get you 3% which but you can't put more than £5,640 in this year. Most saving accounts are less than that, about 2.5% for a decent one which, after tax (at 20%), would give you £150 pcm.

Is that all you get, about £1000 every 6 month ? I was hoping for at least 5k a year.

Is that all you get, about £1000 every 6 month ? I was hoping for at least 5k a year.

Sorry, it's even less than that, £133 pcm (my sums were wrong). In order to get £5,000 pa after tax you'd need an interest rate above 7.5% which is only possible if you're prepared to take risks.

I'd buy a cheapish house that needs doing up, modernise it, then rent it out. House prices aren't likely to fall too much, and you'll get a good amount of incoming money each month.

I'd buy a cheapish house that needs doing up, modernise it, then rent it out. House prices aren't likely to fall too much, and you'll get a good amount of incoming money each month.

The average rent for a house that price is £400-£500 pcm. I would probably have to register as a landlord, i would need to have insurance and save for any repairs, plus yearly boiler checks and any other costs. So renting just one house out is not that promising.

Personally I would buy into gold, the financial markets are on the verge of collapse and money will become worthless pretty soon :)

You would be better getting a mortgage using the 80k as collateral then buy a house,modernise and sell back on at a profit using a mortgage which only charges interest for the time you have it....

No registering as a landlord and fairly quick turnover of a hefty profit.Then possibly do the same thing again with 2 houses as you have more collateral.Cut me in if you make a wedge using this idea lol ;)

I would buy standard life shares, they pay a good dividend and are doing well, by the way I'm not a financial advisor so don't sue me.

I bought £2k worth last march and sold them this week for £2800 and had approx £150 in dividends.

just remember it's a gamble.

Other than that you could always just give me a few hundred quid to help me with my new fence.lol.

I'd go bonkers on it, proper bonkers. Travel the world, parties - awesome. Or you could put it in bonds - nearer 5% and some give you access to the money as well.

What you really need is an independent financial advisor.

Clear all your debts and head off round the world for as long as possible!!!