Appearance money stopping Cresswell and Montgomerie from playing

Titanic99

More like a bonus or an extension to their contracts, on two players we are trying to off load.

Increasing their cost to any possible interested partys.

Quick Research shows.

Richard Cresswell is on 99 appearances therefore should we play him again obviously he has some sort of bonus for 100 appearances which we don't want to be stumping up when we are looking to get shut.

Not sure about Montgomery, he's played in excess of 350 times for the club and doesn't have any sort of appearance milestone coming up.

So who's to blame.

The players and their agents for negotiating and receiving this type of contract....or the club for agreeing to it.

You can only presume both contracts / clauses were inserted when we were a steady Championship side with ambitions of looking upwards rather than down. Nobody at the club back then could have predicted where we are now therefore it is just unfortunate that we are in this position and have to deal with it the best we can.

McCabe obviously knew about the clauses at the beginning of last season however opted in the best interest of the club at the time. He wanted us up first time of asking therefore kept Monty and Cressy on the books to help achieve that. He did say that should we fail to achieve promotion a few things would need to be looked at but he didn't want to be negative and think that way at the time.

Blades are playing a very risky game here.The squad is paper thin on experience,the forward line is a current experiment in progress.I thought that Cresswell was still injured from last season.If anything should happen injury wise to any of the experienced players in the first team,there is very little in the way of experience to bring in,just largely development squad with limited first team appearances and kids.

Unless they unload these 2 and bring in 2 more with experience to replace them,the whole thing could backfire in any part of the team as the season goes on,through injury,loss of form,or simply through not being up to a long hard season in the first team.

I am not saying that the answer is to play these 2,but that if things go the same way as they have done in other seasons,adequate back up will be needed sooner or later.

Blades are playing a very risky game here.The squad is paper thin on experience,the forward line is a current experiment in progress.I thought that Cresswell was still injured from last season.If anything should happen injury wise to any of the experienced players in the first team,there is very little in the way of experience to bring in,just largely development squad with limited first team appearances and kids.

Unless they unload these 2 and bring in 2 more with experience to replace them,the whole thing could backfire in any part of the team as the season goes on,through injury,loss of form,or simply through not being up to a long hard season in the first team.

I am not saying that the answer is to play these 2,but that if things go the same way as they have done in other seasons,adequate back up will be needed sooner or later.

When it comes to paying high end championship wages for players who might be experienced but who are at the latter end of their careers therefore can't give 90 minutes week in week out or alternatively the simple fact being they don't have the fitness levels or ability of those coming through the development system, well then you have no alternative than to get shut.

Should Monty and Cresswell be on a minimal salary then I would be more than happy to keep them onboard for the experience that you rightly say we need, however the financial fair play rules are taking impact on the squad and we have to offload players like this as it simply isn't feasible to continue to pay those sorts of salaries on two players such as these.

People harp on about a lack of experience however we still have a good few seasoned pro's in the squad who can guide the younger ones along during games eg Collins, Doyle and Hill, and the likes of McDonald, Quinn, JLF, Porter and Howard and are seasoned pros now having been in the game for a good few seasons so they know what the game is all about. In answer to what you are saying however yes I wouldn't mind Cresswell on the bench for that added experience however financially it simply isn't worth it and I would rather be without than have financial implications.

A few players will come of age this year however hopefully it will bring out the best in them and we will again see some great young emerging talent.