Dog Wardens / Staffie Cross @ Millhouse Park

They are currently looking to recruit more volunteers in the Sheffield area, so if anyone is interested, please visit their website for details.

http://www.cinnamon.org.uk/

That is a great idea. I could always walk another dog if it was a walkable detour, it is not any effort really to pick up another dog on the way to your usual everyday walk. It is something I will look into. I've tried to help at rescues but an 45 minute drive is not good through rush hour traffic which would be the only time I can get and is not fair on my own dog.

I think the dogs trust also do something similar for domestic violence cases?

Evei - I totally support most of what you are saying - and it should probably be raised as another thread so as not to hi jack this one.

Staying on track with the title and with the rescue/dog warden comments - I totally agree. Rescues should be there to help pets and people in crisis - not those that dump their pets because 'it doesn't suit them at the moment'. which so many dogs dumped are. The dogs don't know the reason why - they only know something hurts and its wrong whats happening to it.

There is a good career out there with education for dog owners - however, most owners blame the dog when I would say 80% the problem is the owner. They are too arrogant to think it could possibly be them causing the problem.

I assume you mean Mill House Animal Sanctuary not Millhouses Animal Sanctuary?? It's in Fulwood so not really close to where you were. The lady you spoke to is the lady that owns The Mill House along with her twin sister. She's actually a very lovely, but very busy person!! Mill House can have up to 200 animals in their care.

The people at Mill House do an amazing job and it's a wonderful charity.

However, I do agree that the dog wardens should extend their working hours!

I wasn't aware that it wasn't in Millhouses, I presumed because of the name it was, I was simply seeking advice which could have given in a non aggressive manner.

Evei - I totally support most of what you are saying - and it should probably be raised as another thread so as not to hi jack this one.

Staying on track with the title and with the rescue/dog warden comments - I totally agree. Rescues should be there to help pets and people in crisis - not those that dump their pets because 'it doesn't suit them at the moment'. which so many dogs dumped are. The dogs don't know the reason why - they only know something hurts and its wrong whats happening to it.

There is a good career out there with education for dog owners - however, most owners blame the dog when I would say 80% the problem is the owner. They are too arrogant to think it could possibly be them causing the problem.

This is a massive issue. I wonder wheat the council will do (if anything). The original point of the thread is what do people do if they can't get a stray dog to the pound? We normally carry a spare lead but didn;t ion this particular day as we'd swapped it onto our boy as he'd had an operation. Luckily the little stary had a harness on so we could hang onto him, but agian back to my original point if I'd been on my own, our dogs weren't friendly etc etc etc. such a shame as he was a lovely little man and obviously trained at one point, would sit, lie down give paw, got on with our two (albeit he was rather keen on our bitch :D). If and when I hear from the council I'll keep you posted. :)

However, I do agree that the dog wardens should extend their working hours!

Perhaps the dog wardens have families, pets and lives outside of work, just like the rest of us?

Perhaps the dog wardens have families, pets and lives outside of work, just like the rest of us?

I think that's where shift work comes in.

I think that's where shift work comes in.

Which is an intrusion on all of the above. The answer is not to increase working hours and patterns but to punish those that cause the problem.

The deterrent is no where near enough to stop the ease of discarding an animal or flouting the simplest law of attaching a collar and tag.

Given that we already addressed the lack of funding, the post I responded seemed to suggest that the wardens themselves should lengthen their working day.

I wasn't suggesting the same warden does longer shifts. There should be more wardens to cover the extra hours.

that's why my dog is still out somewhere....