Bar and Grill closed down

Bar and Grill on Leopold Sq gone tits up. Place has been cleared. I feel sorry for the staff.

Sign of the times. It's a pity. Sheffield needs independent restaurants.

Ahhhhhh - could have said I told you so (see my post, number 18 here http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=666910&highlight=bar+%26+grill+leopold+square).

Frankly I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

Unfortunately I don't think it's a pity that restaurants with a failed concept, incapable or unwilling to evolve or adapt, and with the kind of arrogance of the Bar and Grill (by which I mean the kind of "you get what you pay for so we charge justifiably high prices"/Sheffield needs to go 'upmarket', attitude), go under.

Sad for the staff, of course, but good for Sheffield. Put a decent independent restaurant in its place!

Ahhhhhh - could have said I told you so (see my post, number 18 here http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=666910&highlight=bar+%26+grill+leopold+square).

Frankly I'm surprised it has lasted this long.

Unfortunately I don't think it's a pity that restaurants with a failed concept, incapable or unwilling to evolve or adapt, and with the kind of arrogance of the Bar and Grill (by which I mean the kind of "you get what you pay for so we charge justifiably high prices"/Sheffield needs to go 'upmarket', attitude), go under.

Sad for the staff, of course, but good for Sheffield. Put a decent independent restaurant in its place!

I just read your rather bitter appraisal.

So you went to the opening , didnt like it and never ventured back?

Other than coming back to the same thread in Feb 2011 to pour forth some more bilge.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7323664&postcount=92

Way to go for giving them a chance ! Do you run one of the crap chain restaurants next door?

Hopefully they will put a Greggs in there which will then put you out of business.

I cant stand places that call themselves bar and grills or canteen and bar or bar and kitchen

So pretentious

I cant stand places that call themselves bar and grills or canteen and bar or bar and kitchen

So pretentious

like mcdonalds calling themselves restaurants.

absolute bloody insult.

they are fast food joints, nothing more.

I just read your rather bitter appraisal.

So you went to the opening , didnt like it and never ventured back?

Other than coming back to the same thread in Feb 2011 to pour forth some more bilge.

http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=7323664&postcount=92

Way to go for giving them a chance ! Do you run one of the crap chain restaurants next door?

Hopefully they will put a Greggs in there which will then put you out of business.

Ha!

Bitter appraisal? I've been to plenty of openings, and this was one of the worst. My appraisal was actually fairly restrained considering.

As for working for another restaurant, what mad assumption makes you think that?

My comments are based on, in the first instance, hands on experience, and in the second, the preceding comments in the thread that continually flagged up the poor communication between service and kitchen.

By the sound of your hackles being raised, can I assume you are connected to the restaurant?

In terms of wanting Sheffield to have a diversity of restaurants, as you'll see in other comments I've made on SF, I'm entirely supportive. The tone of your argument sounds suspiciously reminiscent of others on the original Bar and Grill thread. That is, if you don't support the Bar and Grill then you want a chain restaurant in its place or can't shell out for 'London prices'.

Bitter? I couldn't care less about a failed restaurant like the Bar and Grill.

The failure here is entirely the Bar and Grill's - change or die. How is it that places like the Aagrah, Wig and Pen, the Old House, Wick at Both Ends, etc, have thrived in Sheffield, even though they all offer different fare at a range of prices? Perhaps because they listen to their customers, they innovate in their food and drink, and they offer genuinely original independent service.

Hopefully that's a bit more optimistic for you.

And if you're quoting me, then maybe you could be a bit more accurate in flagging up my messages. For instance, see this earlier post: http://www.sheffieldforum.co.uk/showpost.php?p=6897817&postcount=34

To be honest, I only remembered to come back to revisit the thread because I remembered how many wrong-headed comments had followed my earlier post. It seems that the public relations department were less than capable of managing the Bar and Grill's public image, and yes that's an accusation that the Bar and Grill had shills posting on that thread.

Edited by alas_alas

alas alas - whatever your opinions on Bar and Grill are, how refreshing to read a well-written, concise and grammatically correct comment on here.

As for the OP, I only went once, for drinks which were heavily reduced in price due to the fact that the guy behind the bar was a friend of a friend. I actually had planned to eat there in the non-too-distant but alas (no pun intended) it looks like I've arrived too late!

We went to the Bar & Grill a few times and enjoyed it.

I thought it was a nice atmosphere, trendy, good choice of drinks and good cocktails especially and decent food.

It was nice and upmarket in terms of the feel of the place as well, which we liked.

On the downside - the service could be a bit erratic - some of the waiting staff hadn't got a clue what kind of steak they were serving for example - but worse than that - they didn't know how to handle any sort of customer complaints.

I didn't have an issue with the prices tbh. I'm prepared to pay a bit more for decent food in a nice clean upmarket atmosphere and not be surrounded by oiks and riff-raff.

But - from the moment it opened we had some folks on here gasping at paying £18 for a steak and even comparing the prices to their local chip shop. I'm afraid you can't convince people who have that kind of mentality - and regrettably Sheffield has a lot of it.

It must be the hardest city in the country to do survive in business if you are aiming at the top end of the market.

Shame.

DerbyTup - well said, entirely agree.

If it's not 2 for a Tenner many, many Sheffield folk don't want to know.

DerbyTup - well said, entirely agree.

If it's not 2 for a Tenner many, many Sheffield folk don't want to know.

I enjoyed a few meals here too and although the prices were a little high when the place first opened, they quickly sorted themselves out, and I think it was more than reasonable. Anywhere that still serves starters for less than £5 is actually quite cheap - yes even in Sheffield!

To be fair it was Mis-managed from day 1. The original manager and chef were clueless, and by the time their inadequacies were noticed the place was on its knees. It's difficult recovering from such a deficit, add to that the fact the whole concept was based around other grill restaurants, and the owner was quite proud of the fact that he had ripped off their idea, and it looked like part of a chain, it never really stood a chance. If insolvency hadn't arrived, the legal boys from the blackhouse chain would.

We went to the Bar & Grill a few times and enjoyed it.

I thought it was a nice atmosphere, trendy, good choice of drinks and good cocktails especially and decent food.

It was nice and upmarket in terms of the feel of the place as well, which we liked.

On the downside - the service could be a bit erratic - some of the waiting staff hadn't got a clue what kind of steak they were serving for example - but worse than that - they didn't know how to handle any sort of customer complaints.

I didn't have an issue with the prices tbh. I'm prepared to pay a bit more for decent food in a nice clean upmarket atmosphere and not be surrounded by oiks and riff-raff.

But - from the moment it opened we had some folks on here gasping at paying £18 for a steak and even comparing the prices to their local chip shop. I'm afraid you can't convince people who have that kind of mentality - and regrettably Sheffield has a lot of it.

It must be the hardest city in the country to do survive in business if you are aiming at the top end of the market.

Shame.

My views are pretty much the same, I ate with my partner and rest of the family on a few occasions and always liked it, I thought the place was nice and spacious with good views over Leopold Square (very effective at night), the last time a large group of us went (on a Sunday lunch time) the service was poor and the food took ages, it was good when it arrived though.

One problem I think was that it was tucked away in the back corner of the square while the ghastly chain restaurents are on full view.

No doubt it will be replaced by a chain, meaning Leopold Square returns to mediocrity, a shame as this could be the culinary centre of Sheffield with the right outlets.