Petition - Provide Safe pedestrian access between Wincobank & Meadowhall

Signed, its a horrible road and NEEDS changing, lots of children/adults go to meadowhall and risk this road. My thoughts are with the woman's family and friends.

As a fellow pedestrian I couldnt agree more signed.

Do you actually know that the car was speeding? All I've seen is that the woman concerned was charged with causing death by dangerous driving, so surely you might want to retract that allegation in case it affects any future court case.

Thats not my allegation, nor is the petition one i created. I just want people to be aware of this and sign this petition to make wincobank safer.

Do you actually know that the car was speeding? All I've seen is that the woman concerned was charged with causing death by dangerous driving, so surely you might want to retract that allegation in case it affects any future court case.

There's always one

My daughter and grandchildren live round there. Condolences to the family of that poor lady. Good luck with the petition.

Petition signed

Edited by kidneystone

There's alway one

There's not 'always one', it was a very sensible question actually, and I stand by it, while at the same tiime expressing my condolences for the family of the woman who has lost her life. I don't know the road, I don't know the area, I've never been there so I have no axe to grind, but surely until the cause of any accident is established by an inquest or a police enquiry, it is better not to go throwing around allegations.

I've signed it. I'm in favour of putting pedestrian crossings in wherever people want them. (See other thread about how so many people won't walk anywhere these days.)

Firstly condolences to the family of this woman.

Now I agree with metalman, the OP should be stating the driver of the car was speeding untill we know if they where speeding.

The only major thing I think that is missing is a proper ped crossing, I'm sure one could easily be incorporated into the traffic lights at the junction with Barrow Road and at the junction with Jenkin Road, which would serve the the vast majority of people coming down from Wincobank.

The thing is the victim was not crossing the road, but walking along the pavement where everybody will be walking if they put a crossing at the lights, as the petition says a railing is needed.

Coming from the city the traffic queue can build up from the lights to a point where there is a loss of view from around the corner due to vegetation, seen a few cars come round there and have to screech to a halt, narrowly missing the back of the queue, it only takes one not to be quite on the ball, and they're either into the back of the queue, across the white lines and head on, or across and down the bank!

Coming from the city the traffic queue can build up from the lights to a point where there is a loss of view from around the corner due to vegetation, seen a few cars come round there and have to screech to a halt, narrowly missing the back of the queue, it only takes one not to be quite on the ball, and they're either into the back of the queue, across the white lines and head on, or across and down the bank!

And of course they are ALL within the speed limit aint they?

And of course they are ALL within the speed limit aint they?

There also needs to be more reminders of the speed on that road. I had a discussion with a friend about it a few years who was certain the speed limit on the road was forty. After I pointed out the sign after wooley wood bottom says thirty not forty she did slow down on this road (please no comments on how she should pay more attention as I know this but won't help this cause). It is a horrible stretch of road for pedestrians and has only been made slightly better in the last few years by pavement being introduced on both sides of the road. My condolences are with the family.

Petition signed, but we should not have to be doing this with the amount of crashes on that stretch of road it must have been obvious to the highways or whoever that one day one of the accidents was going to be fatal.

They just don't want to spend the money until its too late and they have to act, If this was an isolated incident then it would just be sad but this could have been prevented when the medical center was built, they could have found the money for the crossing then.