Sheffield council tax can you pay it by credit card ?

Dont know where your getting your info from but I paid a half year of Rotherham council tax on a Sainsburys credit card with no problems.

I have tried to do this numerous times, both at the post office, on the phone, and on their online payment service. You cannot pay your council tax or arrears using a credit card.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/finance/pay-a-bill.html

Edited by Isabelle

what about at the council first point centre ? can you pay at at first point

I occasionally paid a small bit of rent and council tax arrears off for a friend, and they were more than happy to let me pay by credit card. If they think it is the best they are going to get, they will snatch your hand off.

Funnily enough friend eventually walked out on her dingy bedsit and got a nice new housing association house, never had any contact regarding outstanding arrears. It's like TV licences, certain types of people get away every time while the rest of us would have bailiffs round.

I occasionally paid a small bit of rent and council tax arrears off for a friend, and they were more than happy to let me pay by credit card. If they think it is the best they are going to get, they will snatch your hand off.

Funnily enough friend eventually walked out on her dingy bedsit and got a nice new housing association house, never had any contact regarding outstanding arrears. It's like TV licences, certain types of people get away every time while the rest of us would have bailiffs round.

Unless it's different in person, but you can't use a credit card online.

I have been frustrated with this to. They don't let you pay by credit card yet this is a required bill ie you don't pay and you could go to jail. It's ludicrous.

I have tried to do this numerous times, both at the post office, on the phone, and on their online payment service. You cannot pay your council tax or arrears using a credit card.

https://www.sheffield.gov.uk/your-city-council/finance/pay-a-bill.html

From the link it's interesting to note our council may still be hoping to collect Poll Tax! But only by debit card. I'd bet that if any creditor had a debt outstanding that long they'd take any payment they could get!

what about at the council first point centre ? can you pay at at first point

You can't pay with anything at first point; the cash counters are all closed. There's just a poster detailing how you can pay.

From the link it's interesting to note our council may still be hoping to collect Poll Tax!

Particularly since there hasn't been a poll tax since 1278, or some such...

Particularly since there hasn't been a poll tax since 1278, or some such...

Read that as 1982, when the ill-fated Community Charge (a.k.a. "Poll Tax") was replaced by Council Tax.

sheffield council tax can you pay it by credit card

I have just got a 5% cashback credit card and thinking of paying my council tax with it to save a few pounds is this possible ?

Dont pay it,it is not a contract, therefore an illegal tax.Ask them to send you a BILL for the whole lot and not a statements like they send.I bet you,you wont recieve one.

Dont pay it,it is not a contract, therefore an illegal tax.Ask them to send you a BILL for the whole lot and not a statements like they send.I bet you,you wont recieve one.

But you will receive, in some order, a court summons, a bailiff visit and a jail sentence.

Read that as 1982, when the ill-fated Community Charge (a.k.a. "Poll Tax") was replaced by Council Tax.

The Community Charge was not a poll tax, by any definition. The right to vote wasn't tied to it.