Sheffield moving to fortnightly bin collections

arrrggggghhhh i have no idea how we are going to manage, my bin is always full to popping now never mind every 2 weeks. and my blue bin is always the same when that gets emptied. theres 2 of us and 2 grown up children in my house so i feel really sorry for those with over 5 and no transport to the tip :|

Same here, 4 adults (most of the time) and at weekends 3 children, our bin is full every week to the point that I tend to put a bag full into next doors if she has the room.

We also have a blue bin almost over flowing every fortnight (loads of milk cartons and cat food cans) and I do compost what I can...the only thing that I don't do in all honesty is the paper box, if they can supply me with something that I can wheel out so that its not covered in Tom cat wee, and a decent lid so that I don't have to clean paper up out of my garden each day then I will use it without argument.

Same here, 4 adults (most of the time) and at weekends 3 children, our bin is full every week to the point that I tend to put a bag full into next doors if she has the room.

We also have a blue bin almost over flowing every fortnight (loads of milk cartons and cat food cans) and I do compost what I can...the only thing that I don't do in all honesty is the paper box, if they can supply me with something that I can wheel out so that its not covered in Tom cat wee, and a decent lid so that I don't have to clean paper up out of my garden each day then I will use it without argument.

we are the same with the blue box, we did use it to start with but with me living at the top of a hill it gets really windy and most of it was blown alover. It also is quite heavy when its full so i dont know how they expected elderly or disabled/hurt back etc.. folks to manage.

If the council want to save money they should stop sending staff on NLP 'common purpose' courses at 4 grand per staff member.

They wont though, all the cuts MUST slightly lower the standard of living of the slaves.

Must be different in different areas then as our leaflet first said cardboard only (temporarily), then changed to say that only garden waste was to go in the green bin, with cardboard folded up and placed under blue box.

Originally they didn't take garden waste during the winter months, only cardboard in the green bin. Due to some legislation about composting, cardboard can no longer go in the bin with garden waste at all and the green bin is garden waste only from now on. If that makes sense?

we are the same with the blue box, we did use it to start with but with me living at the top of a hill it gets really windy and most of it was blown alover. It also is quite heavy when its full so i dont know how they expected elderly or disabled/hurt back etc.. folks to manage.

Anyone infirm or disabled can ask for bins to be collected from their premises.

This has been the norm for years.

If you have room for £15 for the two boxes Ikea sell recycling bins to keep in the house. Its what we use and the large (which we use for plastic, glass and tins) sorting bin hold about half the large blue bin and the smaller bin (we use for paper/cardboard) holds a quarter to half of the smaller blue box.

I got a flyer from them the other day, apparently now you can choose. If you recycle more paper/card put that in the bin and the cans etc in the box, or keep it as it is.

We've had it in S8 for a couple of years now. The only annoying bit is they no longer take excess cardboard if left out. If you cant store it until the next collection and dont drive, you'll need to call the council to collect it at a cost. :/

......................................it silly really ppl have lots of rubbish now days

Originally they didn't take garden waste during the winter months, only cardboard in the green bin. Due to some legislation about composting, cardboard can no longer go in the bin with garden waste at all and the green bin is garden waste only from now on. If that makes sense?

It does :) But its a pain in the backside folding all the cardboard up to go under blue box. But I suppose its a space saver for grey bin, so its better in that sense.

It does :) But its a pain in the backside folding all the cardboard up to go under blue box. But I suppose its a space saver for grey bin, so its better in that sense.

Most of my garden waste goes in my own compost bin, so personally I'd rather have a bin for cardboard. My mate works in a chippy and gets me heavy duty paper potato sacks, which I put my cardboard in. They're really strong so you can pack them tightly. The binmen then just throw that straight into the wagon. Cardboard packaging from large purchases isn't going to be so easy to deal with though.

Before I learnt about this , I realised a week or so ago that our bin was only filled halfway or so, every week. Also we did hardly any recycling.

So I am very pleased this 2-week business is coming in. As a family we will become a more recycling-friendly/Greener-Family which will in addittion Save the council money.

So it must be all good !!

No one is going to not buy something they want or need because of how its packaged are they?

Simple answer - stop buying things with excess packaging.

We currently overfill our blue box with cardboard and paper (as in i have to stand on it to get it all in) and usually have a 3/4 to full blue bin full of tins, glass, plastic bottles so we can't recycle any more than we do. Our black bin is usually 3/4 to full each week.

I have relatives living in Lincolnshire (East Lindsey Council) who have fortnightly collections but they were given full size recycle bins not half size ones or boxes as we have. Their black bin is also larger than the normal size black bins we have here. These aren't large families either in one case it's just one elderly person in the house!!!

If this had been implemented here then people would be less likely to complain.

In our particular case we are lucky enough to have a neighbour who lives on her own so we will be able to use her black bin when ours gets full but most people aren't this lucky.

Cheers

Dave.

Why don't you paint your black bin blue, and your blue box black. Solve your problems.