Atmosphere in old pubs

my aunt and uncle owned washington hotel on fitzwilliam st in town over 15 years ago and as a kid i remember you had the tap room and the best room tap room full of smoke and guys playing cards,domino's,darts and havin a good old natter and in the best room couples,business people etc in best room it was so good mega atmosphere no fightin or **** as there is now.:rolleyes:

I think you will find the thing that is missing is a deicent pint.

John Smiths aint like it used to be. It's more of a cold wet slap with a fish these days.

Hense, they have to drink pint after pint of the stuff !!!

Plenty of superb real ales on offer in the Spoons. If they're stupid enough to buy John Smith's because its 10p cheaper there's not much can be done to help them!

I posted the initial item and find that the responses are extremely good and probably what I expected.

I worked for a large brewery for over 40 years and agree totally with the items concerning the "beer orders" brought about by Maggie Thatcher in the late 80s.

Everyone in the trade prior to this event seemed fairly happy,obviously there was always the rows about pub rents.

I remember also that we delivered a lot of products to all the supermarkets and believe me we told them when the delivery would be planned and how many pallets of different items would be on the lorry,we also dictated the price structure to a large extent.

When the supermarkets got wise to the strength they had and the huge quantities they ordered,they played brewers off against each other (quite rightly) and got the prices way down.I am convinced that over the years this has meant the supermarkets can sell at really low prices due to the volumes they sell.

What chance have pubs got when you pay around £3.20 plus for a pint of Stella or Guinness and more.You can get the same items for a third of the price in supermarkets.

Pubs are great from a social point of view but in the times of hardship prices will nearly always be the factor.

I frequent these pubs and will be in tonight but I can't say they have much of an atmosphere.

Depends what you want from a pub. If you're looking for a old world style, local pub, Fat Cat is just what you want.

If you are looking for a decorated warehouse with a mezzanine level, teeming with meat heads and pox ridden, half dressed (use the term lightly), women. Then maybe Witherspoons is the place for you.

• 1 month later...