M1 to be 50mph around Sheffield??

Not sure why Sheffield'ers are so up in arms about this as how many will be affected? The M1 just passes through, its not a local commuter route :confused:

If its the stretch where the viaduct is, the two lanes of traffic mean its busier and you could hardly get to 70mph. In fact I can't remember a time when I last managed to get to 70 on here. :confused:

I dont know if they do or not but for 1 junction?? not the end of the world is it. Adds a minute to the journey- neither here nor there

How many times now have we heard this in relation to Sheffield Council's constant speed limit reductions? And how many man-hours have we lost as a result when you tot up the amount of traffic and the number of people being conveyed by it? Quite a few I would say.

If its the stretch where the viaduct is, the two lanes of traffic mean its busier and you could hardly get to 70mph. In fact I can't remember a time when I last managed to get to 70 on here. :confused:

It's quite easy at any time outside of rush hours.

jb

Have the council proof that the pollution they claim exists is actually being produced by motorway traffic rather than the stop start traffic on the lower level of the viaduct and the roundabouts at both ends?

Anyone that has been on the M25 will know that “variable” speed limits is nothing new, its all about keeping traffic moving rather than stopping and starting all the time.

Anyone that has been on the M25 will know that “variable” speed limits is nothing new, its all about keeping traffic moving rather than stopping and starting all the time.

Is that what Sheffield council's proposal is? Doesn't read like that on the link in the firt post on here..sounds like they want a permanent 50 limit on the M1..

Is that what Sheffield council's proposal is? Doesn't read like that on the link in the firt post on here..sounds like they want a permanent 50 limit on the M1..

If its part of traffic management that’s all well and good as it’s the stop starts that cause more pollution, if they want people to go at 50 mph on a empty motorway then they will soon lose public support.

If its part of traffic management that’s all well and good as it’s the stop starts that cause more pollution, if they want people to go at 50 mph on a empty motorway then they will soon lose public support.

To be honest I drive over Tinsley almost every day..there's no problem actually on the motorway there..biggest issue is people queueing to get off at M/hall..not sure how a 50 limit will solve that..

The notion that you use more fuel per mile to travel at 70 rather than at 50 is self-evident. So there is an obvious cost, emissions-wise, attached to this higher speed.

The Council doesn't really need to do a great deal of research to know that this is the case.

Anyway, Look Leeds suggested that the reduction in speed was being considered in order to reduce the incidence of crashes which is a wholly different objective.

Asteady 50mph might be more economical and produce less emissions but that isnt what happens in reality!

Any time you brake or accelerate it wastes energy and nothing more than accelerating costs more fuel,especially from a standstill and thats what happens when you meddle with what is esencially perfectly good running roads.

With the cruise control on at 70 i get near 60mpg,if a reduced speed limit is introduced that WILL be lowered and quite a lot and if the Mpg is reduced then emmisions will go up you would agree with that wouldnt you?

When ever posters like you give examples they are very simplistic and often miles away from what will actually happen which is reduced progress and more fuel/emmisions not that its about emmissions,its about the bigger picture ...pay per mile.

If immisions are really the issue then theres plenty of things could be done that would be far more beneficial than making the traffic hang round an area for quite a bit longer than it was previously.

There are a lot of times when cars have to stop/start in Sheffield but as frustrating as that is, personally attacking transport planners like some of you have here ('birdbrained') is really pathetic and also overlooks two points which some of you persistently seem to forgett when it comes to controlled traffic light systems.

a) There are more people on the roads than just yourselves. If you've stopped at a red light then chances are there are another set of lights, on green, allowing other people through or on to the road. Before you say it, instances of being sat at a red light in the middle of the night when there are no other cars around can be explained by the second point;

b) If you want traffic lights to work together even moderately well, let alone seamlessly, then be prepared to spend a lot of money on technology and manpower. There are a LOT of traffic-light-controlled junctions in Sheffield and to have a man controlling each one or to have the technology to link them all seamlessly is never going to happen. The council, like most others in the UK have done this to an extent but resources are scarce and a perfect system or even one which would just at the very least satisfy the naysayers on this forum is probaby prohibitively expensive or too complex to exist in a practical way.

It really is inconceivable given the conflicting road uses and limited resources & technology to expect them to work together seamlessly for your journey, unless some of you genuinely expect every light to turn green as you approach - selfish much?

I really do think that 90% of most journeys are probably 50:50 when it comes to getting green or red lights but of course, people never remember, notice or rave about the times when things go right.

I'm just annoyed that some of you seem to think Transport Planners are out to ruin your lives. They probably just want to try and do a good job at work like you lot do too but like most of us, don't have the resources, time or technology to do what we'd like to. I suspect they have to stop at red lights on their way home too.

If you had bothered to read the posts griping about traffic light phasing, you would notice that we were complaining about being repeatedly stopped one set of lights after another, on the same stretch of road, at night when there are no other vehicles on the road. The lights are clearly timed against motorists. If they are timed against us then it cant be rocket science to time them in favour. I commute to Leeds and can assure you they do not have this problem there, once you are off the M621 you are Greens all the way, same when going to the motorway. The phasing in Sheffield appears to be deliberatly poor and this contradicts the councils alleged desire to reduce air pollution.

Edited by Kid Sampson

To be honest I drive over Tinsley almost every day..there's no problem actually on the motorway there..biggest issue is people queueing to get off at M/hall..not sure how a 50 limit will solve that..

I use that section daily ………. The problem is people doing 70+ mph been funnelled into two lines to get over the viaduct along with the restricted speeds on lorries ……… a lower speed limit from say Thorpe Hesley at one side and the parkway at the other side would allow traffic to flow better at busy times.

Seems to work well down the M42, since the new cameras and signs were put in place traffic actually moves down there.

It's sad that people keep applying the dumb logic that fast gets you there quicker, it only does if the road has the capacity to cope with the volume of traffic at that speed. Otherwise you get gridlock; slow things down a bit when it's busier and things move better.