M1 to be 50mph around Sheffield??

One of the main causes of pollution within Sheffield is the constant stopping and starting of traffic caused by idiotically programmed traffic signals.

It does not need a brain of Britain to program these traffic signals. It is just unfortunate that the traffic management in Sheffield seem to have employed bird brains to program the traffic signals instead.

Yesterday, negotiating the (South) Tinsley roundabout under the M1, I had to pull up at every set of traffic lights. This was not due to any traffic but due to the pathetic phasing of the traffic signals. I was stopped firstly at the signals at the end of the Viaduct, then the lights for Sheffield Road (A6178 towards Rotherham), then the lights for Bawtry Road (A631), then the lights for the M1 south, then the lights for Shepcote Lane (A631) and finally the lights for Sheffield Road (A6178 towards Meadowhall and Sheffield). That is SIX times the lights were at red. Now, I was on my cycle so apart from some perspiration and exhaled carbon dioxide from breathing, very little pollution but what about cars, taxies, lorries and busses having to stop and start each time? THAT is the reason for all the pollution at Tinsley.

Sorting out the traffic light phasing would be a better option for sorting out the pollution than any 50 mph limit on the M1.

Yet more evidence of Sheffield Council's desire to slow everyone down to a crawl no matter what sort of road they're on. They can't really use the safety angle this time so they're going for air quality instead. I wonder how much evidence there is that making people go at 50mph actually reduces the total emissions - after all at a slower speed cars will spend more time on that particular stretch of road so the air quality may actually get worse.

It does not need a brain of Britain to program these traffic signals. It is just unfortunate that the traffic management in Sheffield seem to have employed bird brains to program the traffic signals instead.

That's a bit unfair on birds - they clearly understand traffic lights as well as any traffic planner round here...

So in a time where 80mph is being considered for the whole motorway network, SCC want to reduce it by 20mph?

Idiocy at it's finest. There's no wonder people avoid Sheffield with the intellect of SCC

So in a time where 80mph is being considered for the whole motorway network, SCC want to reduce it by 20mph?

Idiocy at it's finest. There's no wonder people avoid Sheffield with the intellect of SCC

That's true, driving through Sheffield is such a ball ache but perhaps slowing the traffic down forces people to look at the place rather than drive by without noticing it, clever ploy.

Guest sibon

How do you suggest that they tackle the air pollution problem?

One of the main causes of pollution within Sheffield is the constant stopping and starting of traffic caused by idiotically programmed traffic signals.

Yesterday, negotiating the (South) Tinsley roundabout under the M1, I had to pull up at every set of traffic lights. This was not due to any traffic but due to the pathetic phasing of the traffic signals. I was stopped firstly at the signals at the end of the Viaduct, then the lights for Sheffield Road (A6178 towards Rotherham), then the lights for Bawtry Road (A631), then the lights for the M1 south, then the lights for Shepcote Lane (A631) and finally the lights for Sheffield Road (A6178 towards Meadowhall and Sheffield). That is SIX times the lights were at red. Now, I was on my cycle so apart from some perspiration and exhaled carbon dioxide from breathing, very little pollution but what about cars, taxies, lorries and busses having to stop and start each time? THAT is the reason for all the pollution at Tinsley.

Sorting out the traffic light phasing would be a better option for sorting out the pollution than any 50 mph limit on the M1.

Totally agree with you about traffic light phasing. I regularly drive through Sheffield at ungodly hours, it is amazing how many lights you get stopped at when there is no other traffic on the road. I can only conclude it is deliberate. Worst example for me is if you drive from the Leadmill area on Sheaf Street to Park Square roundabout. You will generally get stopped at Harmer Lane (where busses turn off to go up to the bus station - bear in mind this is early hours of the morning we're talking about ) - then you will get stopped at the next set of lights (Pond St) before finally getting stopped again at Park Square. Stopped three times for absolutely no reason. I have also noticed Tinsley to be bad, especially Shepcote Lane/Europa Link Road area. Total waste of time and fuel. It simply has to be deliberate, nobody could be so stupid as to phase lights like that by accident.

Funnily enough I also do a lot of night time driving in Leeds (as I work there) and there is no problem there, come off the motorway and you're on a green light wave all the way into the city centre. Same leaving, once you're on the main road to the M621 you're on greens all the way. Why can't we do the same here?

Edited by Kid Sampson