Unfair returns policy

Today I tried to return a pair of boots to Melody in town

After only having them 3 weeks they had started to come away at the sole I still had my reciept showing the date of purchase as 1/05/2012

When taking them back i was told the lady that deals with returns wasnt in until Thursday and i would have to wait until then for a refund

On explaining I wasnt able to wait until then as I was away and surely it is a simple transaction as was paying for the goods , They then changed the story that he wanted a second opinion to as if the goods are faulty or not saying I could have tampered with them or worn them too much and I would have to again wait til the end of the week!! ( this was the manager/ owner by the way who surely should have the auth to make his own decisions on returns)

After trying to state my case for near on 15 mins it was clear that they were not prepared to see that on this occasion the goods were of poor quality and not fit for purpose, (wouldn't mind but they cost me 40 quid and i really liked the boots!!)

He told me he recognised me and that he knew I had shopped there before but if i wanted customer service or loyalty I should shop elsewhere !!

brave words for a small business in such hard economic times

Elsewhere it is then !!:rant:

worn them to much

What a load of rubbish!!!!

They have a legal requirement to either replace or refund in line with the sales of goods act

Sounds useless

Shoes shouldn't fall apart after 3 weeks, so they were not fit for purpose. You're right.

Making a complaint – what to do first

It's up to you if you want to have one more attempt at talking to them face-to-face, but if you do write to them - record everything.

---------------

Add: What method did you pay? If it's on a credit card then you have that protection aswell.

Edited by Chris_Sleeps

Disgusting attitude! 3 weeks of wear for cheap shoes is crap but £40 isn't cheap in my book! Over wear? What the hell- decent quality shoes/boots can last years with regular wear! I wouldn't let it go. Complain and take it further.

Doesn't sound like a great advert for the place. Are you going to follow this up, maybe with a call to trading standards or if you paid by credit card by getting a refund via them?

http://www.adviceguide.org.uk/wales/consumer_w/consumer_common_problems_with_products_e/consumer_what_you_can_do_about_faulty_goods_e/faulty_goods_-_if_you_want_your_money_back.htm

If the trader wants to send faulty goods to the manufacturer to check

The trader might want to send faulty goods to the manufacturer for an examination before agreeing to give you your money back. Ask how long this will take. The goods must be returned within a reasonable time.

If you are asking for a full refund, make it clear that repairs are not to be carried out without your agreement. This would be an unfair practice. Many unfair practices by traders are against the law.

After the manufacturer has examined the goods, if the trader doesn’t think there’s a fault you may have to get a second opinion. This is because, if you do want a full refund, it’s up to you to prove the item is faulty.

For more about what to do if you think a practice is unfair, see Unfair trading practices

Surely there needs to be a reason to want to send them back for examination? If the sole is falling off a pair of shoes after 3 weeks no investigation is necessary.

Today I tried to return a pair of boots to Melody in town

After only having them 3 weeks they had started to come away at the sole I still had my reciept showing the date of purchase as 1/05/2012

When taking them back i was told the lady that deals with returns wasnt in until Thursday and i would have to wait until then for a refund

On explaining I wasnt able to wait until then as I was away and surely it is a simple transaction as was paying for the goods , They then changed the story that he wanted a second opinion to as if the goods are faulty or not saying I could have tampered with them or worn them too much and I would have to again wait til the end of the week!! ( this was the manager/ owner by the way who surely should have the auth to make his own decisions on returns)

After trying to state my case for near on 15 mins it was clear that they were not prepared to see that on this occasion the goods were of poor quality and not fit for purpose, (wouldn't mind but they cost me 40 quid and i really liked the boots!!)

He told me he recognised me and that he knew I had shopped there before but if i wanted customer service or loyalty I should shop elsewhere !!

brave words for a small business in such hard economic times

Elsewhere it is then !!:rant:

I had the same thing happen.

Had the boots for 2 weeks and the sole came off.

I never got my money back from the rude little man :(

I agree by the sounds of it after 3 months no reason why they should not be swopped.

Ref checking having worked on customer services for many years you would be suprised how many "faults" were due to abuse,we usually gave customers the benefit of the doubt though.

Whats this place to avoid called again?

people here wont go there now well said.

you can not really go to trading standards as in south yorkshire they have no intervention service ....i have tried this route myself for various items that i have bought.... i had a very similar issue with schuh on orchard square last year over a pair of rockports which started to come away at the sole and i had paid 150 for them....i went into the shop and spoke to the duty manager and he wasnt being helpful at all even though rockports are supposedly sold with a 10 year guarantee on the soles ....the duty manager was telling me it may take up to 6 weeks to get a resolution which in my eyes is disgusting service ....he even offered to pay for them to be resoled and at that point i may have lost my wrag with him.......so i went in the next day and there was a diff duty manager on so i asked to try on a pair of the same rockport boots ......he then came over and asked if they were ok and at this point i handed him the faulty pair and said yes thanks and walked out of the shop with the new pair on my feet ....i have never heard anything about it since