Girl plays on her mobile phone right through a theatre performance !

Yep that is true.

Burglar alarms does anyone respond to them? Most people I know just moan that the alarm down the road is going off.

The only trouble with that example is that 99% of the time burglar alarms go off it`s a false alarm, so everyone, including myself, tend to ignore them.

I was at that performance on Saturday evening and, I'm surprised that the Lyceum staff didn't do something. Where we were seated (stalls) the staff were very vigilant, in fact there was a staff member at each end of a row where a chap in the middle was seen to be looking at his mobile as the lights went down, they both shone their torches toward him, he soon got the message.

Are people not allowed to 'shout and scream' any more?

If a kid wants to play on a 'device' and that doesn't upset me - fair enough.

If it does upset me, I'm going to shout and scream ... It<'s not just children who are permitted to misbehave and when the 'people' come to intervene, I'm going to get really upset.

(I'm an 'old fart' and we do that a lot :))

Mod Note

Posts insulting other users have been removed alond with any posts that quoted or referred to deleted posts.

Kindly keep it civil please.

Last year we went to see Blood Brothers at the Lyceum and the whole row behind us was full of 6th form students obviously it was part of their term's work. Before the play started they were shouting across to each other, talking on mobiles, munching sweets (Why do people feel the need to eat in theatres and cinemas?) and generally being teenagers. However the moment the performance started not a sound from them, except at the end when there was a lot of sniffing going on and the two young lad's behind us took stick from a girl for crying!!

But I have also encountered the mobile scenario when I went to see My Fair Lady in London. two young boys about 12 with their mum's were playing and chatting on their mobiles and the mum's were just as bad chatting to each other, we asked the boys to stop as it was distracting us, we got filthy looks from the mums so we asked them too to talk a bit quieter, it fell on deaf ears, the people in the row behind them also asked. I think someone must have reported them because after the interval the boys were not there and about 10 minutes into the show the mums picked up their bags and left too.

Why pay all that money for tickets and behave like that?

If it was a school outing and children are not allowed their mobiles on whilst at school, surely this comes into the same category and their mobiles should be off

Because of inconsiderate behavior like this, I'm reluctant to spend money on concert and theater tickets. Too many times I've forked out $80 or more, only to spend the evening sitting next to teens with cell phones, drunken idiots singing, couples groping each other and old friends conversing about their gallbladder surgeries. No more.

My parents and older sister took me to all kinds of shows -- Shakespeare, classical concerts, ballet, films -- when I was young. They gave me a little background so I could understand what was happening and they explained how a person should behave at the theater. If I had misbehaved, I would not have been allowed to go again.

I was at that performance on Saturday evening and, I'm surprised that the Lyceum staff didn't do something. Where we were seated (stalls) the staff were very vigilant, in fact there was a staff member at each end of a row where a chap in the middle was seen to be looking at his mobile as the lights went down, they both shone their torches toward him, he soon got the message.

Ahh, that was why there weren`t any ushers in the balcony, they were all in the stalls !

Incidentally, did you also think the play took ages to get going ? For the first 10 or so minutes we thought we`d come to some abstract arty farty interpretation of what`s actually a really good story, it was all kids running around and staring at curtains ! !

shane39. If your daughter was annoying you so much by playing with the Blackberry, why didn't you just take it off her? Simples!

I was wondering that too. I don't allow BB use in "company" - even if that company is just me! Too rude.

Ahh, that was why there weren`t any ushers in the balcony, they were all in the stalls !

Incidentally, did you also think the play took ages to get going ? For the first 10 or so minutes we thought we`d come to some abstract arty farty interpretation of what`s actually a really good story, it was all kids running around and staring at curtains ! !

We've seen "An Inspector Calls" several times over the years and, yes, we were bemused by the children in the cast. As you say, the staring at curtains and sitting in a 'phone box with the inspector taking long looks at the child had us confused, I still don't understand that, maybe it's a bit too deep and meaningful for me to comprehend.

We go to the Sheffield theatres on a monthly basis and, if my enjoyment was marred by someone with a mobile etc. I would tactfully inform staff.

Edited by DUFFEMS