Girl plays on her mobile phone right through a theatre performance !

We went to see "The Inspector Calls" at The Lyceum last night and a girl sat next to us played on her mobile phone right through the performance ! It was a slightly unusual crowd, loads of kids, possibly because the play was an exam text or something, but I`ve never ever had someone playing on their mobile/listening to an I Pod whilst watching a performance. She did actually turn down the volume (so we couldn`t hear the overspill noise from her headphones) when we asked her to, but even so, to say it was off putting is a bit of an understatement !

The two questions which spring to mind :

1 What would other people do if someone near them played with their mobile phone right through a performance ?

2 Has anyone ever had this happen to them before ? Or anything else equally ignorant ?

Not in a theatre,but i took my 12 year old daughter to London for the weekend (birthday treat)

She was constantly on her Blackberry(updating FBook)every minute she was awake.

On the London Eye,i don't think she actually raised her head to enjoy the views.

I eventually got annoyed with her,and told her she would wear her fingers out,and finish up with 2 stumps. Haha!

I remember as a lad I was forced to go to all kinds of theatre stuff like gilbert and sullivan operettas by my parents as one of them was appearing. I hated it and if there would have been smartphones back then I would certainly have been much more entertained by that.

Whereas now I am more mature and would be more interested in the theatre. If the girl was forced to go and was too immature to be there then this is what is always going to happen, unless her parents take her phone off her beforehand.

I find this behaviour incredible, but even worse, what did the parents say / do?

There were a group of half a dozen girls with, I think, the mother of one of them, and she was sat at the other end of the group. To be frank, with the attitude of many parents to their offspring these days ("I want to be best friends with my kids") I`m unconvinced she`d have done anything anyway........

I remember as a lad I was forced to go to all kinds of theatre stuff like gilbert and sullivan operettas by my parents as one of them was appearing. I hated it and if there would have been smartphones back then I would certainly have been much more entertained by that.

Whereas now I am more mature and would be more interested in the theatre. If the girl was forced to go and was too immature to be there then this is what is always going to happen, unless her parents take her phone off her beforehand.

I was also taken to many performances as a kid which I most definitely didn`t appreciate at the time, but there is no way on earth that my parents would have let me play with a mobile phone (had one existed), absolutely no chance whatsoever. And rightly so.

It is annoying for people around and behind if someone use mobile in theatre. Only english people will sit there annoyed and complain afterwards to friends instead of adressing it to the person that is the cause.

Go to berlin, paris, amsterdam and anyone disturbing the audience will be warned, then removed and possibly fined as well.