What went wrong at Barnsley road?

Maybe I've got my rose-tinted glasses on but I remember the section of Barnsley road near Lane top being a really nice place, there was, I think, a bingo hall (which is now United Carpets but the building was derelict for a long time), a nice building containing a good library, a Hillards, and some other thriving shop in the lower part(which is, the last time I looked, the grotty Job Lot :gag:), there was even a usefull bus terminus situated there.

Further down the road was two great places - Saint Pats club and The Huntsman pub across the road from it. There was a little independent betting shop sandwitched between the Huntsman pub a petrol station. There was also a Scout hut across the road from, what is now, the Job Lot car park.

What happened to society in that particular area that caused it to gradually deteriorate the way it did?

Edited by Hots on

Maybe I've got my rose-tinted glasses on but I remember the section of Barnsley road near Lane top being a really nice place, there was, I think, a bingo hall (which is now United Carpets but the building was derelict for a long time), a nice building containing a good library, a Hillards, and some other thriving shop in the lower part(which is, the last time I looked, the grotty Job Lot :gag:), there was even a usefull bus terminus situated there.

Further down the road was two great places - Saint Pats club and The Huntsman pub across the road from it. There was a little independent betting shop sandwitched between the Huntsman pub a petrol station. There was also a Scout hut across the road from, what is now, the Job Lot car park.

What happened to society in that particular area that caused it to gradually deteriorate the way it did?

Huntsman closed down, was knocked down and is now flats, St Pats club is now The Phoenix club, the scout hut I believe is still a scout hut.

The bingo hall was Nobles but in my childhood it was a cinema called the Essoldo. Saint Pats is still there and open and the scout hut but not sure if that's used now. I can remember it being a field where Job Lot is before Hillards built on it and there were two other supermarkets there in between Hillards and Job Lot. There was also a caravan sales next to the cinema towards lane top. The betting shop was called Flahertys and was then a taxi call centre. There were two petrol stations on that stretch of road one near the caravan shop and one below huntsman who also sold cars.