Would you date someone who is bisexual?

Would you date someone who is bisexual?  

122 members have voted

1. 1. Would you date someone who is bisexual?

• Yes
    • No

I didn't know Roy Jenkins was bisexual.

Still decriminalising homosexuality was the right thing to do, even though, apparently many in the gutter press were opposed to him. I can't remember who said it, but they defined him as a signpost rather than a weathervane: that is, he steered the public in the right direction, irrespective of whichever way the wind blows. He also liberalised divorce laws, and gave support to the Steel Abortion Bill.

Good for him.

If you've got a problem with people's orientations being gay or bisexual why don't you say why? Why are you being coy?

I don't disagree, that it was not correct to change the law, but surely you can appreciate Roy Jenkin's had a conflict of interest and it would have been a massive scandal, if his sexuality had been known at the time or shortly after the law change.

I am not being coy at all and have already stated, that I don't believe being bisexual is normal. I don't have a problem, if others including you, think otherwise. You and another person were unfairly implying another poster was bigoted in my opinion.

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 19:49 ----------

It's also normal for a man to have a relationship with a man, happens a lot. Not usual, but normal.

I disagree. I believe it is only normal for a person, to have a relationship with someone of the opposite sex.

Would I date an Bi man maybe but personality is more important to me. Welcome to paradox of human sexuality theirs no wrong or right answer.

I don't disagree, that it was not correct to change the law, but surely you can appreciate Roy Jenkin's had a conflict of interest and it would have been a massive scandal, if his sexuality had been known at the time or shortly after the law change.

I am not being coy at all and have already stated, that I don't believe being bisexual is normal. I don't have a problem, if others including you, think otherwise. You and another person were unfairly implying another poster was bigoted in my opinion.

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 19:49 ----------

I disagree. I believe it is only normal for a person, to have a relationship with someone of the opposite sex.

No I don't see that Roy Jenkins had a conflict of interest. Do politicians who are straight and legislate on matters relating to heterosexuals not have a conflict of interest also?

I think his sexuality would've only been newsworthy had he stood up in Parliament and fulminated about the permissive society, but engaged in extra marital shenanigans in private. As it was, he was perfectly consistent.

Isn't normal a synonym for usual?

Is it abnormal to have ginger hair or green eyes then? Because they aren't the most common, or usual colours...

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 21:39 ----------

I think this demonstrates a lack of empathy and tolerance, which is known as bigotry isn't it?

Is it abnormal to have ginger hair or green eyes then? Because they aren't the most common, or usual colours...

The definition of the word 'normal' (in this context) is 'the usual, typical, or expected state or condition.' There is nothing pejorative about the word, and saying something is not normal shouldn't be seen as being somehow dismissive or disdainful.

The definition of the word 'abnormal' should just be the reverse of this, so something that is not usual or typical (such as having ginger hair or green eyes), however I accept that it is often used to also express something that is undesirable, and so would not ordinarily be used to describe the things you mentioned.

---------- Post added 17-01-2017 at 21:58 ----------

I don't think so.

It is, according to my thesaurus, and the dictionary definition of the word normal.

Why.........?

Theirs another side to this as you get older you can't be too fussy on what you can get as the pickings get slim. As long has everything works for them tender moments who cares?

The definition of the word 'normal' (in this context) is 'the usual, typical, or expected state or condition.' There is nothing pejorative about the word, and saying something is not normal shouldn't be seen as being somehow dismissive or disdainful.

The definition of the word 'abnormal' should just be the reverse of this, so something that is not usual or typical (such as having ginger hair or green eyes), however I accept that it is often used to also express something that is undesirable, and so would not ordinarily be used to describe the things you mentioned.

It is, according to my thesaurus, and the dictionary definition of the word normal.

Dictionaries give a basic definition of words. For some words that is sufficient, for others it merely gets you started. If dictionaries gave us the full meaning of language there would be no need for philosophy.

So you would describe ginger hair as abnormal then... :suspect:

So you would describe ginger hair as abnormal then... :suspect:

Excuse me? Did you actually read what I wrote?

I said, as I'm sure you well know, however I accept that [the word abnormal] it is often used to also express something that is undesirable, and so would not ordinarily be used to describe the things you mentioned.

Somehow claiming that means the opppsite of what I said is bizarre.

---------- Post added 18-01-2017 at 08:57 ----------

Dictionaries give a basic definition of words. For some words that is sufficient, for others it merely gets you started. If dictionaries gave us the full meaning of language there would be no need for philosophy.

But by asserting that usual isn't a synonym for normal you are not just claiming that the dictionary definition is incomplete, you are suggesting it is wrong.

I don't think someone should be criticised for using the dictionary definition of a word. The word might have slightly differing meanings among other people, but that doesn't invalidate the definition.

You spent longer justifying why it was the correct word than you did with the "would not ordinarily be used". But okay, we've established that you wouldn't use it.

And that's why people think it's moderately offensive when someone describes homosexuality or bisexuality as not being normal. (They're also IMO wrong, it's well within the bounds of established normal human behaviour, normal does not mean the most common only).

Synonyms do not have identical meanings, they have very similar and related meanings which differ slightly. If they were identical then we'd have just the one word.

Usual is not the same as normal. Normal can cover a set of possibilities, all of which might be expected to occur. Usual will identify the single most likely possibility.