Fitted Wardrobe Recommendation?

Thanks. Was it the actual sales process as opposed to the final fitted item(s) that concern you most?

I must admit that their website is pretty dire, but I've tried to be non-pedantic and see beyond the numerous spelling mistakes and focus only on the images of wardrobes, which do look nice (especially the one with three panel black doors and the red gloss drawers).

Hello if its sliderobes you're def after i can personally recommend a german brand called Nolte. We have these in two bedrooms- both purchased from Ponsfords. Dont be put off by the fact Ponsfords sell them (as we all know Ponsfords can be very pricey) because this range is a very reasonable price and more importantly they are very good quality. Our oldest Nolte wardrobe is around 8 years old, is packed with clothes and is still as sturdy as the day it was installed. Also they are installed by Nolte themselves.

Well, the visit from Betta Living was a little off-the-wall. I don't mind paying for quality but there was a real gulf between what I had in mind and the guy's total (which was, apparently, arrived at by including a 60% discount, plus an extra 20% for the Easter promotion), I won't embarrass anyone by relaying it here.

Pleasant fellow, he showed me his working and asked the closing question: "Are you happy with that?" and I politely said "No"... he asked me why and I said "The price", he wanted to know if it was only the price and I admitted it was... another 20% or so disappeared but I had to let him know it was miles off.

I felt like I'd wasted his time... apparently each appointment 'costs' them about £300. Some better vetting when making the appointment might reduce wasted journeys. Sure it's all part of the grand scheme, though, and their conversion ratios are high enough.

I wonder if anyone has bought things from this company without 60% plus 20% discounts? Hope not.

Edited by Hippogriff

I think the salesman was the main problem as he promised things that didn't work. I'm not that impressed with the workmanship of the installers either.

I also seem to recall they were asking me for a letter of thanks to put in their file almost before they had done the work - it seemed a bit too pushy for me.

It wasn't an awful job by any means but just not one I was over the moon with.

Well, the visit from Betta Living was a little off-the-wall. I don't mind paying for quality but there was a real gulf between what I had in mind and the guy's total (which was, apparently, arrived at by including a 60% discount, plus an extra 20% for the Easter promotion), I won't embarrass anyone by relaying it here.

I found all the well known nationwide companies seem to charge you silly prices. Bet they will ring you up in a week and lower it by 1K ;) Once someone has done that to me I just class them as rip off merchants, how can you trust anything they say! Very silly sales technique if you ask me and I told them so!

I would still recommend a local joiner and ask them to help you order the wardrobe parts that will be made to fit if your not confident doing it yourself. Check access..this was the biggest thing for me as my house is tiny and very tight on the stairs to get the big doors up and around. Each of my panels in at least 1 1/2 width of a normal door and I had them built so they are in a light wood frame. If you want me to email you some pictures just ask. It took me a good month of researching and faffing around! :hihi:

Edited by Evei

If the opinion is right, they are deprived of the opportunity of exchanging error for truth.If wrong, they lose, what is almost as great a benefit, the clearer perception and livelier impression of truth, produced by its collision with error JS Mill

• 1 month later...

An update, so this thread can - potentially - help others wondering the same.

Betta Living came around and offered a crazy price at first, on the night this was dropped to what was, effectively, their "minimum order". I still didn't think that was acceptable for this wardrobe. We parted ways and they did not come back with a better offer. Worst, though, was that Betta Living said I couldn't have sliding doors; so I would need to have had normal doors on my wardrobe. I didn't fancy that, so them being so expensive wasn't a real issue to me, to be honest.

Got in touch with joiner andy and he came around to quote. First thing was, he told me I could have sliding doors, which was great. He planned to use the B&Q modular parts. However, the price was actually higher than Betta Living's final offer, so we didn't manage to do the deal.

Nankivells also visited a couple of weeks ago and they do all their own stuff and could do the wardrobe that I wanted. The price was one that I found acceptable too. I recently decided to go ahead with them, I have put down my deposit, and my wardrobe is going to be fitted in early June.

Fingers-crossed for a great job. Being a bit of a perfectionist myself, I want to be delighted.

I can happily recommend J A Horne Starlight. They have shops on Abbeydale Road & Penistone Rd. Penistone Rd has the showroom.

I had a 2 door sliding wardrobe with all the units inside. The price pretty much depends on the size - each bit has a price so you can keep it to budget. We have long hanging with 2 shelves above, down the middle there are 5 shelves, then 2 short hanging, one above the other. I absolutely love it. We visited the showroom, booked an appointment & the designer came out. He gave us a drawing of what the inside would look like (we had seen the doors in the showroom). The price was set from what we had chosen.

We had it fitted in february last year. Two guys arrived to bring the parts in, but only one remained to fit it. He never stopped & it was done in about 4-5hrs if I remember correctly. I did notice a scratch after he had gone, I phoned up & a few days later someone came out to inspect & they took the door back immediately & we had a replacement within the week - no argument & no fuss.

I had a horrid experience with Kitchen Creation (London Road) when we had our new kitchen, so Starlight was a breath of fresh air that gave me faith again. I would definitely use them again. We did have a quote elsewhere, no complaints about the company, but the price/design wasn't what we wanted. Starlight had a perfect design & a worthy price.