Can I be forced to pay fine for a car I no longer own?

Bit of a long one, sorry.

Bought a car over a year ago, which turned out to be a lemon. Dealers knowingly sold me a lemon. After a few weeks of ownership and much arguing, they agreed to refund my money and I returned the car and all papers so they could apply for ownership again (stupid I know, I should have sent reg documents to DVLA myself but I just wanted shot of the whole thing.), not forseeing just how crooked these guys would turn out to be.

Car was bought from Leicester.

Couple months or so later I received a parking fine for same car. Contravention occurred in Leicester. I phoned the DVLA and informed them I was not the owner. They said they had not received this information prior to this and requested it in writing, which I sent.

Recently received an Order for Recovery of unpaid PCN. I phoned them up and explained the above. The woman said that the DVLA still have me as registered owner! She said I need to inform the DVLA etc., I told her I have already done this. She said she needs proof from DVLA that I was not owner at time of contravention. To which I replied that, even if I phone the DVLA NOW, if they STILL have me as owner then the date the DVLA will give her will be from today! So I will still, in their view, be liable to pay! She agreed this was so.

I told her I would not be paying the fine. She said they will send the bailiffs out. I asked to speak to a supervisor, she said I would be told the exact same thing. I asked if it could be taken to court, she said no, they just send it straight to the bailiffs.

I am not paying this fine on principal.

I don't understand why the DVLA has not updated info... maybe they never received my letter/ didn't log the call... I don't frigging know!

Can bailiffs hired by council force you to pay?

If they do send the Bailiffs, I wouldn't bother kicking up a fuss, as if you get arsey with them, they'll get even more arsey back and that's where you end up in dire straits.

I have no experience of this sort of thing so I'm probably talking rubbish (as I'm sure somebody will tell me shortly) but best to be safe.

Bit of a long one, sorry.

Bought a car over a year ago, which turned out to be a lemon. Dealers knowingly sold me a lemon. After a few weeks of ownership and much arguing, they agreed to refund my money and I returned the car and all papers so they could apply for ownership again (stupid I know, I should have sent reg documents to DVLA myself but I just wanted shot of the whole thing.), not forseeing just how crooked these guys would turn out to be.

Car was bought from Leicester.

Couple months or so later I received a parking fine for same car. Contravention occurred in Leicester. I phoned the DVLA and informed them I was not the owner. They said they had not received this information prior to this and requested it in writing, which I sent.

Recently received an Order for Recovery of unpaid PCN. I phoned them up and explained the above. The woman said that the DVLA still have me as registered owner! She said I need to inform the DVLA etc., I told her I have already done this. She said she needs proof from DVLA that I was not owner at time of contravention. To which I replied that, even if I phone the DVLA NOW, if they STILL have me as owner then the date the DVLA will give her will be from today! So I will still, in their view, be liable to pay! She agreed this was so.

I told her I would not be paying the fine. She said they will send the bailiffs out. I asked to speak to a supervisor, she said I would be told the exact same thing. I asked if it could be taken to court, she said no, they just send it straight to the bailiffs.

I am not paying this fine on principal.

I don't understand why the DVLA has not updated info... maybe they never received my letter/ didn't log the call... I don't frigging know!

Can bailiffs hired by council force you to pay?

Go to the DVLA place just off Ecclesall road in person and tell them in person and show any supporting paperwork and they may be able to sort it there.

Did you have the car long enough for the log-book to be issued in your name? If so, then you should have issued the relevant part of the form to the DVLA.

It is for you to send the V5 to Swansea advising them of change of ownership not the new keeper. I'm not sure from the OP that this was done?

The onus is now on you to provide evidence that the car was returned, date you returned the car, any receipt or bank statement that will show any refund, etc, etc would all help your case.

Go to the DVLA place just off Ecclesall road in person and tell them in person and show any supporting paperwork and they may be able to sort it there.

I think I will have to visit there as I cannot get through to them on the phone. I don't have any paperwork though, that's the problem. I (stupidly) returned everything with the car.

Did you have the car long enough for the log-book to be issued in your name? If so, then you should have issued the relevant part of the form to the DVLA.

It is for you to send the V5 to Swansea advising them of change of ownership not the new keeper. I'm not sure from the OP that this was done?

The onus is now on you to provide evidence that the car was returned, date you returned the car, any receipt or bank statement that will show any refund, etc, etc would all help your case.

Yes, the log-book was issued to me. I did make a mistake of handing everything back with the car. I didn't realise I needed to return the v5 to DVLA myself. That said, I informed the DVLA that I was no longer the owner of the vehicle over the phone and in writing.

The car was paid for in cash, so no luck there.

Yes, the log-book was issued to me. I did make a mistake of handing everything back with the car. I didn't realise I needed to return the v5 to DVLA myself. That said, I informed the DVLA that I was no longer the owner of the vehicle over the phone and in writing.

As I understand the law, it really doesn't matter whether you've informed them or not. If you did not return the V5, then you are legally responsible for the fine.

As I understand the law, it really doesn't matter whether you've informed them or not. If you did not return the V5, then you are legally responsible for the fine.

True, When you inform the DVLA that you no longer own a vehicle, they send you written confirmation that their records have been updated and that you no longer own the said vehicle. Untill you receive that confirmation you are responsable for any parking fines the vehicle gets.

just out of interest, is this a proper parking ticket issued by the coucil/police/other real people or an invoice from a car parking company?

if it's the first then you are probably stuffed, if it's the second don't worry it's possibly not enforcable

either way you need to make sure the dvla know you are no longer the keeper

Archived