Sheffield Local Elections 2012

Sheffield Local Elections 2012 : who will you vote for?  

322 members have voted

1. 1. Sheffield Local Elections 2012 : who will you vote for?

• Lib Dems
    • Labour
    • Green Party
    • Tory
    • UKIP
    • English Democrats
    • Independent

When it comes to voting time I hope people remember the fortnightly bin collections, the soon to be rolled out 20mph speed limit and workplace parking charges that you just know the Labour council is dying to bring in.
I want a 20mph residential speed limit! I'm fed up putting my life in my hands trying to cross Walkley Bank Road trying to get home.

There's 150 candidates! And how many of them have Sheffield Forum accounts?

They need to embrace new media.

There's 150 candidates! And how many of them have Sheffield Forum accounts?

They need to embrace new media.

They also need to remember that good old face to face door knocking shows determination. Do we really want keyboard warrior councillors?

I know, the irony! :hihi:

It is a shame, this is a fantastic resource, there are so many things discussed, why not Politics?

Politics CAN be discussed, Bluerev, it's just that the councillors who do post on here respect the time period between the announcement of the candidates, and the close of polls on election day, by not electioneering/ promoting themselves or other candidates.

Some posts have been deleted. This topic is about local elections. Any more personal remarks or accusations, and it will be removed.

The outcome is up to you.

I can only agree with this. At a time when people are completely put off by politics we need forums to communicate together and bring people back.

The reason was that the BNP decided to embrace SF as their medium of choice and frankly it was ruining the place. So, it was decided that a blanket electioneering ban would be put in place.

This doesn't stop anyone discussing issues and anyone is at liberty to give their personal opinion, ask questions about anything at any time. If they happen to be a known candidate then their opinion will be judged appropriately.

Just don't mention the war. :)

Politics CAN be discussed, Bluerev, it's just that the councillors who do post on here respect the time period between the announcement of the candidates, and the close of polls on election day, by not electioneering/ promoting themselves or other candidates.

Okay, well if those are the rules, those are the rules. I did not know. I hope this is then consistent throughout the site and even the slightest hint of self promotion is removed if that is to be the case. Otherwise we could have bias on our hands. But thanks for letting me know.

The reason was that the BNP decided to embrace SF as their medium of choice and frankly it was ruining the place. So, it was decided that a blanket electioneering ban would be put in place.

This doesn't stop anyone discussing issues and anyone is at liberty to give their personal opinion, ask questions about anything at any time. If they happen to be a known candidate then their opinion will be judged appropriately.

Just don't mention the war. :)

Fair enough, it is a shame that it was hijacked by preachers of hate who have ruined it for everyone else, when there are genuine people out there wanting to help promote politics/debate in a more positive way. But now I understand the reason. Thanks.

Not half as much as those of a certain mad man!:cool:

You leave Mecky alone.

I remember, not wanted. Less hugely entertaining than downright vicious.

I can imagine. Given the number of Lefties and their preference for abuse in lieu of reasoned argument I can see there would be a problem of people from outside wards abusing anyone and everyone who is not of their lunatic persuasion.

I think Sheffield Forum needs to bring back the politics section and each candidate should be able to have one thread each. Its up to them whether they then utilise that to interact with their electorates.

Please have a re-think. :)

Hear hear.

I am sure it could be set up so that only those in the ward can discuss with the prospective candidates. Some tough moderators at the outset to ban the abusive idiots should send the right message. The standard of political debate in this city is lamentable and anything to raise the level can only be a good thing.

I have only had Labour so far at least they are out and about.

Over the years especially the local elections you never seem to get anyone knocking on your door asking you how you are going to vote.

Whether this is down to the various parties not having enough people on the street to canvass in any particular area, or only concentrating their efforts in areas where they might stand a chance of winning is open to debate.

Also some parties seem to be able to get some election leaflets through the door, some parties don't seem to bother.

This is not a dig at any particular party but it always nice to see what the various parties stand for.