MEGATHREAD:- Recommended Lettings Agents

• 1 month later...

I went quite innocently into Blundells to register my interest in nice 1 and 2 bedroom houses today to be told I would need a month in advance plus £100 admin fee PLUS £210 referencing fee (I explained I already had my references and as far as I was aware the cost of calling people on the phone had dropped somewhat since 1976 but still...) I had heard of other agents charging ridiculous fees (Mike Jolly for one) but does anyone know of any that are reputable or more reasonable? Or do I need to quit my Rightmove addiction and start prowling post offices and the Telegraph for private landlords?

Edited by absynthfairy

I went quite innocently into Blundells to register my interest in nice 1 and 2 bedroom houses today to be told I would need a month in advance plus £100 admin fee PLUS £210 referencing fee (I explained I already had my references and as far as I was aware the cost of calling people on the phone had dropped somewhat since 1976 but still...) I had heard of other agents charging ridiculous fees (Mike Jolly for one) but does anyone know of any that are reputable or more reasonable? Or do I need to quite my Rightmove addiction and start prowling post offices and the Telegraph for private landlords?

That would certainly be better than paying over £300 for the privilege of being registered with an agent. A few years ago my friend paid an agent admin fees only to be told she couldn't get the houses she wanted because she didn't have a previous rental address and therfore reference despite her starting her first job as a Dr.

In my opinion estate agents are a rip off and theres no need to waste your money paying them to do what a descent private landlord does for free. Their properties are overpriced because they take a big chunk of what the lanlord gets in rental. The best properties aren't advertised with agents- look in local shops and the telegraph.

When we sold our house, we rented about 18 months ago through william h brown at crystal peaks.

Despite me being the wage earner in the family, had to have credit checks done on myself, wife, son who was at college(18 yrs old) - each of the credit checks cost the same (£45 each from memory).

We also had to pay half of the pre / post tenancy inspection(think that was £20 but well worth it as the landlord claimed we damaged blinds, carpets and allsorts but the photos the inspection firm took proved otherwise) and also half the contract fee (£75 I think)

We also enquired about properties with Crapper & Haigh but never rented through them and from memory they only charged for a bank reference which at the time was about £8.

There was one in Rotherham (name escapes me) and they wanted £130 per person to do credit checks, even on a 15 year old child - didn't bother renting with them,

Hi

You could also try easyroommate.co.uk and spareroom.co uk - both good sites for finding private landlords. A credit check costs about £10 each - an agent/landlord would want to add something to that - afterall they are a business and have overheads to pay. However, it should surely be reasonable? I also fail to understand why anyone would want to run a credit check on someone under 18 - as, I don't think that they can legally enter into a credit arrangement? They certainly can't legally sign a tenancy agreement.

PS Junction Road newsagent on Hunter's Bar roundabout and the newsagents and post office on Sharrowvale Road are good places to find private landlords.