Speedwell Works noise nuisance

Hi All,

Been reading about many people having sleepless nights due to noise from a Rave or similar.

Well it's not a rave and it is technically legal, it's a location called Speedwell Works on Sydney street in Sheffield, near to what used to be called Niche night club.

Basically it's on average a once a month event that is run by an outside company who bung the landlord of the building some cash to run an event and make a quick load of cash. Not illegal as they obtain a temp events notice (thanks to South Yorkshire Police) and can make use of this loophole in the law that was meant to enable schools etc to have a temp licence to hold an event. Unfortunately the Police are the only ones to grant such a notice and they will only take away this notice if there are any public order or general crime happenings taking place as a result of this event. Problem is the Council can object but they need proof, firstly many complaints, as many as possible (keep reading for contact details) and then they need some proof, as far as getting readings of the noise amounts etc. Now those of you who heard this noise this morning will probably have realised that at about 3am the level went up, this is because the council environmental officers who monitor the noise stop working at 3am! Excellent! And surprise surprise the event organisers know this and this is when the volume always goes up. So the Police won't/can't object (although I am sure if the boss of the licencing dept had this on his doorstep it may be dealt with) and the council are typically council and slight inept at dealing with anything slightly challenging. My thoughts are that quite simply if the Police allow this event to run until 7am (yes 7am, although this morning it ran later) then if they cannot work with their partners (council) and guarantee to the law abiding members of the public that quite simply want to sleep are able to do so, why allow the event to run until 7am. Why not 3am?? It is apparent to me that proper licenced venues in Sheffield have to regularly jump through hoops to maintain their licence and provide all relevant checks on such area's as safeguarding and H+S etc. This event has run now for 16-18 months and should be stopped, perhaps not entirely, as I am not an old duffer who never went out, but when it affects everybody around it and stops people sleeping it should be controlled to a normal level which incidentally is not going to deafen people in later life. I live at least 1.5 miles away from this location and my windows vibrate and the walls outside my house sound as though someone is hammering on them, I have never heard anything as loud (music wise anyway) I reached a point some months ago when I snapped after laying in bed listening to it all night and wondering where it was coming from, got up at 6.15am jumped in the car put the window down and drove straight to the source of the sound. Easy actually as it was that loud, just amazed nobody nearby has complained earlier. Although most flats nearby are student accommodation, so probably in the event!! The council have said that they are amazed that nobody else has complained, but unless you jump in a car and drive to the venue you would never know the location, so who would ring up 101 and say they can hear loud music but don't know where it's coming from? not many would call and say that! So Please feel free to help all those who suffer from this drain on their sleep and contact the people below.

Paul Thornton on 01142734661.

paul.thornton@sheffield.gov.uk

Bob Singh

bob.singh@sheffield.gov.uk

Environmental Protection Officers

Environmental Protection Service

Sheffield City Council

2-10 Carbrook Hall Road

Sheffield

S9 2DB

Tel +44 (0)114 273 4658

Fax +44 (0) 114 273 6464

For those that found this difficult to read:

Basically it's on average a once a month event that is run by an outside company who bung the landlord of the building some cash to run an event and make a quick load of cash. Not illegal as they obtain a temp events notice (thanks to South Yorkshire Police) and can make use of this loophole in the law that was meant to enable schools etc to have a temp licence to hold an event.

Unfortunately the Police are the only ones to grant such a notice and they will only take away this notice if there are any public order or general crime happenings taking place as a result of this event. The problem is the Council can object but they need proof, firstly many complaints, as many as possible (keep reading for contact details) and then they need some proof, as far as getting readings of the noise amounts etc.

Now those of you who heard this noise this morning will probably have realised that at about 3am the level went up, this is because the council environmental officers who monitor the noise stop working at 3am! Excellent! And surprise surprise the event organisers know this and this is when the volume always goes up. So the Police won't/can't object (although I am sure if the boss of the licensing dept had this on his doorstep it may be dealt with) and the council are typically council and slight inept at dealing with anything slightly challenging.

My thoughts are that quite simply if the Police allow this event to run until 7am (yes 7am, although this morning it ran later) then if they cannot work with their partners (council) and guarantee to the law abiding members of the public that quite simply want to sleep are able to do so, why allow the event to run until 7am. Why not 3am?? It is apparent to me that proper licenced venues in Sheffield have to regularly jump through hoops to maintain their licence and provide all relevant checks on such area's as safeguarding and H+S etc.

This event has run now for 16-18 months and should be stopped, perhaps not entirely, as I am not an old duffer who never went out, but when it affects everybody around it and stops people sleeping it should be controlled to a normal level which incidentally is not going to deafen people in later life. I live at least 1.5 miles away from this location and my windows vibrate and the walls outside my house sound as though someone is hammering on them.

I have never heard anything as loud (music wise anyway) I reached a point some months ago when I snapped after laying in bed listening to it all night and wondering where it was coming from, got up at 6.15am jumped in the car put the window down and drove straight to the source of the sound. Easy actually as it was that loud, just amazed nobody nearby has complained earlier. Although most flats nearby are student accommodation, so probably in the event!!

The council have said that they are amazed that nobody else has complained, but unless you jump in a car and drive to the venue you would never know the location, so who would ring up 101 and say they can hear loud music but don't know where it's coming from? not many would call and say that!

So Please feel free to help all those who suffer from this drain on their sleep and contact the people below.

Paul Thornton on 01142734661.

paul.thornton@sheffield.gov.uk

Bob Singh

bob.singh@sheffield.gov.uk

Environmental Protection Officers

Environmental Protection Service

Sheffield City Council

2-10 Carbrook Hall Road

To the OP, you said you drove to it...... and we'd never know where it was until we drove to it! Why not help us out, and stop thousands having to drive to it and tell us where it is? Would be a good start.

Archived