Telescopes advice please

I'm thinking of buying a telescope and would appreciate some advice on what the differences are between the various telescopes and which offer the best value for money.

I am relatively new to planet and stargazing and astronomy in general and my price range is up to around £50 in the first instance. I would like to be able to view planets and constellations clearly etc...

I have seen various new telescopes advertised on ebay from as little as £1 however I doubt they would be very good so any specific advice would be appreciated

Sarcastic comments are not appreciated from those of you with dirty minds!

Thank you for your time

If you are new to astronomy can I suggest that you buy a decent pair of binoculars, 10x50 will be suitable as £50 will not get you a good telescope and would probably put you off astronomy.

Where as a pair of 10x50 binoculars will offer a good view of the constellations and a couple of deeper sky objects. Then if you find astronomy is not for you, you will still have a pair of binoculars for sight seeing, bird spotting ect. All astronomical telescopes either turn the view upside down or back to front (sometimes both).

If you are new to astronomy can I suggest that you buy a decent pair of binoculars, 10x50 will be suitable as £50 will not get you a good telescope and would probably put you off astronomy.

Where as a pair of 10x50 binoculars will offer a good view of the constellations and a couple of deeper sky objects. Then if you find astronomy is not for you, you will still have a pair of binoculars for sight seeing, bird spotting ect. All astronomical telescopes either turn the view upside down or back to front (sometimes both).

good advice from Jivester

cant beat a good pr of binoculars for surfing the skies

I have the 10x50 and they are great

We have a skywatcher 200p 8inch dob its fantastic but not a grab and go

scope,

I Have p.m'd you with a great stargazers forum they are very helpfull