Stolen iMac - 24/3/12

On Saturday evening, sneak thieves entered our house and stole my iMac computer, and I'm hoping some of you honest Sheffield citizens might help me track it, or the thieves, down. This was a particularly scary incident as my 20-year old son was in the house at the time.

The computer is a 2010 brushed-metal finish 21.5" iMac with wireless keyboard & mouse, serial number W8022M8KDAS. It was taken at about 9.45pm on Saturday 24th March, from the Crookes area.

I would be particularly interested in hearing from anyone with information about activity in the lower parts of Cundy Street and Hoole Street as the iMac's location software alerted us that the machine was there between 11.25 & 12.05 on the following Sunday morning. Incredibly, the police told me they couldn't take any action without a specific address.

I will reward anyone supplying information that leads directly to the computer being returned to me.

Apparently there were 4/5 incidents with a similar MO on that night, so I guess we should all be a bit more vigilant now the warm weather's encouraging us to leave our doors/windows open. If you can help in any way with this incident, please PM me in confidence, or if you prefer contact the police quoting incident number 1308 on 24/3/12. Thanks all.

Magilla & metalman - thanks for your input; however, regretfully I'm not planning to add or disclose anything further to what's in my original post, as I think, considering the possibility that the thieving get(s) might be reading this, that it's enough information. (Though 2 replies from 200-and-odd reads, does perhaps suggest otherwise...)

I have a mac G5 and I want to put it in my log cabin, but the insurance company say it will not be insured if I do. So now I am thinking of selling it and getting a laptop. It's a bugger when you cannot live your life the way you want because of other peoples dishonesty.

Magilla & metalman - thanks for your input; however, regretfully I'm not planning to add or disclose anything further to what's in my original post, as I think, considering the possibility that the thieving get(s) might be reading this, that it's enough information. (Though 2 replies from 200-and-odd reads, does perhaps suggest otherwise...)

That's why I said PM me... but hey ho, I can probably find something on the web about it.

That's why I said PM me... but hey ho, I can probably find something on the web about it.

Indeed you can, and if your iMac is a recent model and the OS is up-to-date there are a number of options, some of which are inbuilt. I simply don't want to disclose anything, privately or otherwise, that might help the thieves. Nothing personal, metalman.

If the above sounds a bit paranoid - well, having people walk into your house while it's occupied & stealing your computer, then locating said computer less than a mile from your home the next day only to be told by the police there's nothing they can do...yeah, I think that would up the paranoia levels a bit.

As I said in the OP, I'm hoping (albeit it's a slim hope) that someone on SF might just know something that will help me get my computer back. So can we restrict this thread to just that topic please...?

If the above sounds a bit paranoid - well, having people walk into your house while it's occupied & stealing your computer, then locating said computer less than a mile from your home the next day only to be told by the police there's nothing they can do...

I'm now wondering why the police can't do anything when you know where the machine is... most odd.

I'm now wondering why the police can't do anything when you know where the machine is... most odd.

Yes indeed. It's a long and complex story, and potentially sub judice - but essentially, as per my OP, for about 40 minutes on Sunday I knew to within 40 feet where the machine was. But because I couldn't pinpoint the exact address, the uniforms in attendance said they couldn't take action. Madness.

Yes indeed. It's a long and complex story, and potentially sub judice - but essentially, as per my OP, for about 40 minutes on Sunday I knew to within 40 feet where the machine was. But because I couldn't pinpoint the exact address, the uniforms in attendance said they couldn't take action. Madness.

That sounds about right only a few years ago if the plod even had just that little bit of info they would knocked down a few doors and retrieved it.

Just my view though.