Waddington Airshow 2012

I'm interested in going to the Waddington Airshow this year as I've never been before and have heard it's a good one to go to.

I have done a bit of research and noticed that there often seem to be problems with huge amounts of traffic etc. I was planning on going by train or possibly staying overnight. I presume that the trains will be pretty busy too.

I've heard that there are some campsites nearby but have also heard that they can be quite noisey etc.

Does anyone have any tips or advice as to the best way to do things bearing in mind I don't have a huge budget!?

The last year was easily the worst year for the traffic. We left our home in Sheffield at 07:30 and got into our enclosure in the airshow at 13:00. It was so painful, we were stuck on the road leading up to Waddington air base for hours.

That's somewhere i've wanted to take my son for the last couple of years. We would have gone on a coach trip, didn't know the traffic was that bad though. Do you think coaches would get any preference or it's all the same? I hate queuing. We went on a coach trip at Christmas to Torquay and there was no organisation at the service station; we waited 2 hrs for all the other coaches to arrive.

That's somewhere i've wanted to take my son for the last couple of years. We would have gone on a coach trip, didn't know the traffic was that bad though. Do you think coaches would get any preference or it's all the same? I hate queuing. We went on a coach trip at Christmas to Torquay and there was no organisation at the service station; we waited 2 hrs for all the other coaches to arrive.

I think last year was just an almighty foul up somewhere along the line, I've never had any problems in the years before. Next year I'll make sure we'll leave earlier.

The last year was easily the worst year for the traffic. We left our home in Sheffield at 07:30 and got into our enclosure in the airshow at 13:00. It was so painful, we were stuck on the road leading up to Waddington air base for hours.

You must have been directly in front or behind me JFK as your timing was almost as exact as mine. When we drove in they didn't even look at our tickets let alone ask for them. The rest of the day was worth it though...especially the Chinook aerobatics with the Red boiler suit hanging out the back..

Camp out the day before the event..you get a ring side view while they practice.

I went some years ago. Even if you go on the train you need to get a shuttle bus out to the show - I sat on this in traffic for almost three hours. The nature of the roads means buses etc. couldn't be given priority even if they wanted to. It's a bit of a nightmare :(

You must have been directly in front or behind me JFK as your timing was almost as exact as mine. When we drove in they didn't even look at our tickets let alone ask for them. The rest of the day was worth it though...especially the Chinook aerobatics with the Red boiler suit hanging out the back..

Camp out the day before the event..you get a ring side view while they practice.

I've no chance getting my misses to camp, I've used up all my favours to get her to camp at Leeds festival and V festival this year.

I have seen 4/5 shows and not seen traffic jams as reported.

I sometimes go on the friday before,as aircraft will be arriving for the show.

Some will give a short display before landing. I leave Sheffield about 6am and am in the viewing area before 9am.