How many brands of Cutlery made in Sheffield?

Dear all, I am doing a research regarding to the cutlery industry in Sheffield, and I am wondering does any body know how many brands of ctlery are made in Sheffield ? or please suggest where I might be able to found this information, many thanks for all of your help......A student from SHU ..:)

could ask me dad, he is a metallurgist used to work for avesta sheffield

Edited by charlie9865

Dear all, I am doing a research regarding to the cutlery industry in Sheffield, and I am wondering does any body know how many brands of ctlery are made in Sheffield ? or please suggest where I might be able to found this information, many thanks for all of your help......A student from SHU ..:)

Well, student from SHU, I would suggest that you visit the Metalwork Gallery in the Millennium Galleries. This will give you some background information. Then, if you pop into some of the shops in town, like Made In Sheffield, you can see what cutlery is on sale here and build up a list of names. Made In Sheffield have a website, which will be of use to you. Then, you should really do your own work :)

Edited by HJL_Shef
Missed a word out!

i suggest you contact the cutlers hall opposite the cathedral they keep a register of all cutlers and silversmiths past and present

i cant think of any now a days all the big cutlers like viners , rodgers and ,wilkingsons have all gone, even though you can get viners cutlery if you look it wont say made in sheffield viners being synonymous with sheffield are all made in korea now no such thing as viners any more. i won a tv competition of a set of viners cutlery, but as soon as you look at the quality of the steel you can tell its not made here. if you want sheffield cutlery make sure it as made in sheffield stamped on it steer well clear of cheap immertion rubbish it should be like cornish pasties and stilton cheese it should only be made in sheffield:rant:

i cant think of any now a days all the big cutlers like viners , rodgers and ,wilkingsons have all gone, even though you can get viners cutlery if you look it wont say made in sheffield viners being synonymous with sheffield are all made in korea now no such thing as viners any more. i won a tv competition of a set of viners cutlery, but as soon as you look at the quality of the steel you can tell its not made here. if you want sheffield cutlery make sure it as made in sheffield stamped on it steer well clear of cheap immertion rubbish it should be like cornish pasties and stilton cheese it should only be made in sheffield:rant:

Well ... strike me sideways in an unconventional manner! ... in all my years of living in this great City, I never realised it was the home of Cornish pasties and Stilton cheese! :o

http://www.pinder.co.uk/

Pinder Bros on Arundel St, next to the corner with Matilda St, still manufacture in the traditional way.

Go in their showroom and ask nicely and they might show you round the works.

or you could ask me ...cutlery guy at big cutlery company

i used to work at harris millers & co at the bottom of the moor when i was 16/17 they were the company that made the 1977 silver jubilee spoons which im sure plenty of sheffielders have still got :)