Manchester Airport

Hey, I have a flight leaving at 6am in a few months and don't see the point in booking a hotel. What I was wondering is if I turn up at 10pm that night, is there any where to stay in the airport itself. So, any bars / coffee shops that are open 24 hours?

If not, is it suitable to just stay in the departure lounge overnight?

Thanks in advance :)

Do the 2am/4am trains from Sheffield not still run?

Any airport is open 24 hours a day, if you take plenty of reading material or a something to keep you occupied you'll be okay. I'd be very surprised if an airport the size of Manchester doesn't have some sort of food outlet open 24/7, but I can't say of my own knowledge.

Manchester Airport has loads and loads of shops/ cafes etc........but only once you pass through security.

Pre-security, there is only one pretty crappy coffee shop. As for the opening times, I'm not sure as the last time I flew from there it was a daytime flight.

I would imagine that your check-in won't be open 8 hours before your flight so you wouldn't be allowed through security.

HeadingNorth, there is a 3.45am train but it arrives10 minutes before my flight would leave. I will also have a few books and maybe a film to keep myself occupied; im sure my other half will be fast asleep next to me!

Rob_Roy,. that is what I was worried about! But as long as we can find two seats somewhere I guess I will be happy!

Thanks again!

I would imagine that your check-in won't be open 8 hours before your flight so you wouldn't be allowed through security.

If your flight is one that allows you to check in online you may be able to go through security to the nicer area well before actual check in maybe? Worth checking on.

While i think Manchester Airport is open 24/7, i have a sneeky feeling the airport does shut down to departing passengers during the night, usually after the last scheduled departure of the day, ie you wont be able to go airside. Im sure you can hang around landside but im not sure id fancy doing it myself. The last time i went thru terminal 1 i had a 7am flight but security didn't open untill about 4.30 - 5am.

Another issue would be if you have to check in any luggage, presuming your airline has staff still working at 10pm, they may not accept your luggage that far in advance.

So yes, you should be fine to turn up at 10pm just don't expect to be able to access the airside part of the airport.

You don't say which terminal you are going from but here:

http://www.manchester-airport-guide.co.uk/terminal-2.html

is the guide to what's where at terminal 2.

My own choice however would be a hotel - £40 or so for one has to be money well spent - you'll spend that in drinks!

If it was Birmingham airport their is a hotel 100 yards from departures and I have heard its cheap. Dont know if Manchester has one.

Hey, I have a flight leaving at 6am in a few months and don't see the point in booking a hotel. What I was wondering is if I turn up at 10pm that night, is there any where to stay in the airport itself. So, any bars / coffee shops that are open 24 hours?

If not, is it suitable to just stay in the departure lounge overnight?

Thanks in advance :)

I stayed overnight there a couple of years ago. You can sleep there but it's not the most comfortable airport for dossing down for the night. The coffee bar shut about midnight and the seats were too hard to get comfy on. But if it's only for a few hours then go for it.

Its always full of dossers at night lounged around trying to sleep on the most uncomfortable seating ever so I should imagine you can't go through till your allocated time ie 3 hours before as other posters have said a hotel is a much better option or stay in your own bed and get old easty to take you he is reliable and you'll find him in the football section.

I don't know much about it, but could you maybe pay extra and get to use one of the lounges with free drinks and nibbles? That said depending on cost maybe it would be cheaper just to get a hotel!

don't forget to have a pound coin with you for the trolley, and remember to save it to use again when you return. If there is any other airport in the world where the customers, who may have paid over £1000 for their flight, have to dig into their pockets and purses to find a piece of small change for the trolley, than I never saw it. This is really abysmal. Even airports in dirt-poor countries don't do this. How can they expect visitors from foreign countries to have a £1 coin.