School uniform Good or Bad ?

People gravitate to it as a sign of authority when times are hard.

People move away from it as a sign of authority when times are good.

Uniform, in and of itself, has no effect on school outcomes. It's just an extra expense.

Personally I think it's a regressive idea. It's also tied up with aspirations as there's a popular connotation of private education that goes with it.

If school uniforms were suitable for school (i.e. natural fibres, hard wearing, warm in winter cool in summer) then that would be something, but they tend to be cheap crap.

Neither solely good nor solely bad, but we had one when I was at school and the huge complaint I have is double standards - relaxing the rules for some and being extra vigilant with other pupils. If a school is going to follow it then follow it solidly, or don't bother at all.

Neither solely good nor solely bad, but we had one when I was at school and the huge complaint I have is double standards - relaxing the rules for some and being extra vigilant with other pupils. If a school is going to follow it then follow it solidly, or don't bother at all.

Agree totally,this is the norm at my daughters' school

I've written it before, but in general the pupils who can't afford the whole sweater-shirt-trousers-black shoes combo are the kids who are usually quite happy to have an excuse to be sent home. It's self-defeating. Just wear white trainers to school and they know they'll either get sent home or be at school in white trainers - which is win-win for them.

The second thing is schools profiteering from a monopoly on selling overpriced polyester rubbish, just because it's got a badge on the pocket. I don't agree with that either.

School uniforms are an unnecessary part of schooling, my daughters school at one point insisted on health and safety grounds that necklaces shouldn’t be worn, the school was very unhappy when I sent my daughter to school without a tie, which were significantly more dangerous that a necklace, the school backed down because they realised their policy was idiotic.

Uniform takes the argument out of getting dressed in the morning. It is inexpensive - even the sweatshirts. It means generally (Forge Valley aside!)that the kids turn up for school looking like people, not gansta rappers or cheerleaders. The kids are easier to spot on school trips. Teachers don't have to deal with parents gutted because Junior has lost his new £40 designer t-shirt after PE. I sure there are loads of arguments against, but these sell it for me.

I think the formal uniform is a bit over the top.

We should move to the US standard for uniforms (khaki/tan trousers with a cotton polo shirt) let kids wear their own trainers or shoes when they want to. Keep backpacks simple.

I went to school without a uniform, allowed to wear whatever I want to. There was a bit of jealousy of things, but never to the point someone was attacking people over what they wore. Those things can be nipped in the bud, by parents teaching kids that not everyone can get what they want - when they want it, and not everyone is going to be the same (some will be weird, some will be popular, some will be an outcast, etc)

Archived