How Fast Is Gravity?

Hang on... "Graviton"? Is that a unit of gravity...?

It is the name given to the postulated "unit of gravity," but we can't prove it exists yet.

Personally I've always thought that auto98uk's argument (also being put forward by Karis) made more sense, but modern science has very little truck with it. It is assumed that in order to have a gravitational effect on each other, two objects must interact; in order to interact they must exchange some sort of sub-atomic particle or wave form; that particle/waveform is called a graviton.

It is the name given to the postulated "unit of gravity," but we can't prove it exists yet.

Personally I've always thought that auto98uk's argument (also being put forward by Karis) made more sense, but modern science has very little truck with it. It is assumed that in order to have a gravitational effect on each other, two objects must interact; in order to interact they must exchange some sort of sub-atomic particle or wave form; that particle/waveform is called a graviton.

Ok got that! Very interesting stuff!

Yeah. I'll go with that.

Even though I don't want to... :)

The extension produded in a spring is directional proportional to the load applied. Provided the elastic limit is not exceeded.

Oh, hang on a minute, long time since I got my O'Level physics :hihi:

It's 9.81 m/s2 = 32.2 ft/s2 on earth.

Hope no one else has posted this. I didn't read the whole thread :(

It's 9.81 m/s2 = 32.2 ft/s2 on earth.

Hope no one else has posted this. I didn't read the whole thread :(

I don't think they have. However, when Jabberwocky refers to the "speed of gravity" he doesn't mean the acceleration that it will cause in an object; he wants to know how long it takes for the existence of planet A to affect the motion of planet B, assuming that planet A just suddenly appeared out of nowhere.

If you remember that the formula for spring extension is called "Hooke's Law," named after Robert Hooke, you might interested to know that Robert Hooke tried to steal credit for the laws of gravity discovered by Isaac Newton. He was a notorious credit-grabber in his day.

Imagine a trillion mile long pole. If I pull on one end, the other end moves instantantly.

Now, imagine that stick was a sheet, and that sheet was space/time (we will keep it simple, the newest theories are a lot more complicated that just space/time lol.

So if gtravity was suddenly applied somewhere, it would be felt immediately elsewhere.

I have a problem with this analogy in that the elasticity of the pole determines when the removal of force at one end is felt at the other. A pole of iron would still need a period of time for its effect to be felt, albeit a smaller period of time than for one made of, for instance, wood.

Similarly, if we look at the effects on earth of the removal of a large gravitational object, i.e. one which has a discernible effect on earth, the elapsed time between its removal and our measuring the effect of its removal would have several determinates such as the force of the gravity exerted (a constituent of the relative masses of the object and earth), the distance between the object and earth, the make up of the constituent matter between the object and earth, etc.

In a nutshell, I don't know.