How Fast Is Gravity?

Remembering an experiment at all those years ago where my physics teacher put a feather and a stone into a glass container, he sucked out all the air to create a vacuum he showed that the stone and the feather fell at the same speed.

On earth the speed of a falling object is terminal velocity, the speed is determined by the drag or air resistance.

Black holes and stuff causes me to glaze over and stare at the sky in wonderment.:cool:

Sorry, there's simply not enough evidence to support this and I've never heard any physicist compare gravity to light.

You haven't heard me do so either. Gravitons are not photons, and bear no resemblance to them, except that being massless particles both travel at the same speed.

It would, then, be equally accurate to say that light travels at the speed of gravity. (Again, assuming that current hypotheses are correct.)

So if gtravity was suddenly applied somewhere, it would be felt immediately elsewhere.

This is absolutely correct.

However, I'll still say it's possible that it is some kind of particle / waveform and it could absolutely travel at the speed of light, or observe some other as yet unknown phenomena.

I think we'll discover the truth in another 100 years or so :)

You haven't heard me do so either. Gravitons are not photons, and bear no resemblance to them, except that being massless particles both travel at the same speed.

It would, then, be equally accurate to say that light travels at the speed of gravity. (Again, assuming that current hypotheses are correct.)

Not if gravity obeys a universe-wide form of interaction. If we're talking particles then I have no problem with that, but what we've seen of gravity, its effects appear to be universal which sets it apart from photons.

Then again, the universe does appear to be relatively constant...

I'm so mellow, I'm even arguing against myself now :P

This is absolutely correct.

However, I'll still say it's possible that it is some kind of particle / waveform and it could absolutely travel at the speed of light, or observe some other as yet unknown phenomena.

I think we'll discover the truth in another 100 years or so :)

Bugger that! Lets discover it here! Tonight! :D