High Pitched Whine On Car

Hi All

I've recently bought a 54 plate Fiesta 1.25 and its running fine etc. When I start up and pull off its fine. However when it's warmed up there is a high pitched sound when idling which is difficult to describe.

It isn't a squealing sound like you would get with a slipping alternator drive belt nor is it a grinding sound like when a gear isn't properly engaged.

I am inclined to believe it is the alternator (or some other) bearing. Is there a garage that could take a look tomorrow that won't charge me the earth?!

Thanks

Hi All

I've recently bought a 54 plate Fiesta 1.25 and its running fine etc. When I start up and pull off its fine. However when it's warmed up there is a high pitched sound when idling which is difficult to describe.

It isn't a squealing sound like you would get with a slipping alternator drive belt nor is it a grinding sound like when a gear isn't properly engaged.

I am inclined to believe it is the alternator (or some other) bearing. Is there a garage that could take a look tomorrow that won't charge me the earth?!

Thanks

Instead of giving her a lift, ask her to start using the bus.

Instead of giving her a lift, ask her to start using the bus.

:thumbsup: I come up with 'stick her in the boot'

Any constructive advice?

You could try taking it to a garage.

Any good garage will take a look, give a quick diagnosis and a rough estimate which you can turn into a proper quote if you want.

You can also walk away if you think it is too much.

Too much for you may be OK for someone else.

A garage close to me may be inconvenient for you.

You live in the 4th largest conurbation in England with thousands of car repair garages and a mechanic listening under the bonnet can narrow it down quicker than a thousand guesses in an internet forum.

You could try taking it to a garage.

Why when you can ask a collection of strangers who have no idea what they are talking about.

I keep waiting for the thread that starts " I have got terrible pains in my chest.What should I do ?"