Foods we once ate in sheffield

Yeah, it was always a corsi edge or a dor stop. :hihi: :hihi:

When folded in half I had a job to get my little jaws round it. When we had chips they were proper un's real wedges. Not like yer 'arty *arty' french fries. I woz a right plate licker loved to tip the plate to my lips & drink the vinagure, still do sometimes. Slurp ! :roll:

Yeah, it was always a corsi edge or a dor stop. :hihi: :hihi:

When folded in half I had a job to get my little jaws round it. When we had chips they were proper un's real wedges. Not like yer 'arty *arty' french fries. I woz a right plate licker loved to tip the plate to my lips & drink the vinagure, still do sometimes. Slurp ! :roll:

Every body had a chip pan with beef drippin in which sat on the cooker week after week, the older the fat the chips seemed to get more tasty.funny beef dripping was best for chips,but pork drippin best on bread.since ive lived in soppy south i havnt see drippin !

Every body had a chip pan with beef drippin in which sat on the cooker week after week, the older the fat the chips seemed to get more tasty.funny beef dripping was best for chips,but pork drippin best on bread.since ive lived in soppy south i havnt see drippin !

Talking about dripping not seeing it for years my OH and I were on holiday in Tenerife one year and were in the north of the island having drove up in a hire car.Whilst in Tacaronte we stopped for lunch at a local resturaunt not a tourist one,as we waited for our meal the owner placed crusty bread on the table and an earthenware pot,we lifted the lid it was beef dripping and it was loverly with the dark jelly spread on the warm crusty bread with roast chicken to follow.Lubbly Jubbly my mouths watering thinking about it,the owner said it was usual fare in that area!!.:love::hihi::hihi:

I used to love fried prem and chips mam used to say it was poor mans luncheon meat. We still have tatties and onions cooked in frying pan sliced potateos sliced onion a bit of lard salt and pepper and water cooked till soft lovelly with bread and butter.Another favourite fried cheese on a plate with a bit of butter and water and cooked in the oven hubby loves it with an egg in the middle.

I used to love & still do,a lump of cheese & a raw big onion on a plate with a wedge of bread & butter. Mind you sometimes your mouth feels like it could incinerate the rain Forest in one breath. :bigsmile:

I got so much entertainment from my previous post about phrases and expressions used in Sheffield, that I thought I'd try one in a similar vein about some of the foods I remember being fed on during my childhood & early teens(ie - all thru' the 1960's and well into the 70's). I think most of the foods I'm listing below will only be remembered by people over 50 (or maybe over 40 at a push, if they had old fashioned parents like we did). Most of this stuff now seems to be extinct, even in Sheffield itself. Outside of Sheff, I've never yet come anyone who's even heard of, let alone actually eaten, most of it and I was wondering if anyone out there remembers eating any of the following "delicious" delicacies?

Udder

Sparrib broth

Chaps

Hock

Beast Cheek

Crozzles

Fatcakes

'Taters & onions

Chittlins & bag

Tripe or cow-heel cut up into bits and served cold, drowned in salt, pepper and vinegar

Roll

Boiled black pudding and boiled onions

Pigs' tail stew

I await your replies with bated breath!

must be getting old don't recall any of these items.

If you were too old you should remember some of them, so I guess you must be too young. I presume you must be still a little nipper. ;) ;)

must be getting old don't recall any of these items.

Ox tail and delicious horse meat.:hihi:

Edited by Lucifer
spelling correction

I had Ox tail last night. Bloody gorgeous.

As a nipper my granny used to take me to the horse meat shop on Holme Lane Hillsborough,I remember an old girl saying to the butcher"Its for the dog you know!"[yere right!].One thing I remember was the bright yellow fat on it,beef has white fat,the Belgiums and French love the stuff to this day!:gag::roll::confused:

If you were too old you should remember some of them, so I guess you must be too young. I presume you must be still a little nipper. ;) ;)

no i am 67 and still do not recognise any of that crap (have been told by an old friend who still lives in Sheff. that it's crap)

I like good horse meat. It has a rather more sweet taste than steak. The cooking is most important as ever though.