Sheffield Nurse struck off for stealing tea and coffee

She might have had a slipped disc, who knows?

If it was just the tea and coffee she wouldn't have been struck off, the headline is misleading. It was the drugs. If you steal drugs that's it end of, you will be struck off - you've breached one of the most important articles of trust.

Another thing that's worth bearing in mind is if they're stealing drugs, tea and coffee how can they be trusted around the belongings of vulnerable patients? It has happened in the past in Sheffield that nurses have been on the rob from patients.

It's worrying that she couldn't remember taking either the food or the drugs. I'd be concerned if I was very ill, or post op and someone with such a bad memory was looking after me. :roll:

It's worrying that she couldn't remember taking either the food or the drugs. I'd be concerned if I was very ill, or post op and someone with such a bad memory was looking after me. :roll:

The article reads as if the panel didn't really believe her claims of memory loss, but whether they are true or not she'd still have been struck off - in part, at least, because of precisely what you suggest. Anyone who is ill enough to not remember what they have and have not done, is a most dangerous person to be giving medical help to patients.

Good to see that the Nursing and Midwifery Council were on the ball in holding the hearing into Sian Sheeran's stashing of tea, coffee and buiscuits from a Sheffield hospital in her bag.

I do have a question though. I assume the 'buiscuit crime' was closely followed by the hearing and was fairly close to the date the article was published in The Star (8 Feb 2012). My question is, why does it appear that no action has been taken since April 2008 when she 'helped herself to the hospital’s medicines'?

Has she been allowed to continue nursing for all of the nearly four years? Has it taken nearly four years for all the investigations to take place before the hearing was held?

If she was suspected of taking hospital medicines during April 2008 then, to my mind, she should have been suspended whilst investigations were carried out and a hearing convened. If the was the case, has she been paid to sit at home twiddling her thumbs for nearly four years?

The drugs made her have a bad mermory. It might be a claim.

Good to see that the Nursing and Midwifery Council were on the ball in holding the hearing into Sian Sheeran's stashing of tea, coffee and buiscuits from a Sheffield hospital in her bag.

I do have a question though. I assume the 'buiscuit crime' was closely followed by the hearing and was fairly close to the date the article was published in The Star (8 Feb 2012). My question is, why does it appear that no action has been taken since April 2008 when she 'helped herself to the hospital’s medicines'?

Has she been allowed to continue nursing for all of the nearly four years? Has it taken nearly four years for all the investigations to take place before the hearing was held?

If she was suspected of taking hospital medicines during April 2008 then, to my mind, she should have been suspended whilst investigations were carried out and a hearing convened. If the was the case, has she been paid to sit at home twiddling her thumbs for nearly four years?

She would have been sacked from her job, and then the case referred to the NMC. She was probably suspended from nursing register in that time in lieu of the outcome of the hearing. It's my understanding reading the report is that the hearing did not believe her claim as to forgetting how the stolen items mad their way into her bags.

It's worth noting that the stolen drugs wasn't identified in the report and they may have been nothing more sinister than paracetamol, which may be why the focus was on the other stolen items.

It's my opinion that she was struck off for trying to lie her way out of the situation.

The charges and resulting sanctioins are free to any member of the public to access via the NMC website;

http://www.nmc-uk.org/Hearings/Hearings-and-outcomes/February-2012/Charges-SheeranSian/

the papers publish whatever will sell their papers, so saying shes struck off for nicking tea and coffee isnt actually the full story.

The nhs wastes a lot of drugs. After something is perscribed, if the box is then opened, even if only one tablet on a strip is used, the whole perscription is disposed of. Now that is a waste. But for Health and safety reasons its distroyed.

The drugs made her have a bad mermory. It might be a claim.

It is certain that some medication can wipe memory and people live in the present moment.

Sometimes just a part of memory goes with medication.

Her claim of not being consious of how it all got in her bag is believable if she took medication.

Edited by dutch