Sheffield Homes MEGATHREAD

good luck,i live on the flat roof houses on the arbourthorne and they havent had ANY work done in the 40 odd years they have been up rotten. Wooden window frames no double glazing damp in bed rooms mould on the bedroom ceilings the original bathroom and toilet miss match kitchen front and back door that dont fit properly.Wasnt on the decent home scheme .so not getting modernised might be coming down in the next 5 years so doing no proper repairs only boj jobs .so got to live like this for the next 5 years then if not coming down they will do them up :@

Cheers Karl they have to be done the house isn't secure and I have a lot of expensive stuff going in and I aint about to put it all in for them to get pinched

Daughter was in same situation previous tenant refused decent holmes in . She did get the doors a frames replaced but as for cuboards etc etc has to wait several years . Even though 3 inspectors have said yes to all jobs only to get a call after to say no they wont touch them for upto several years.

Hi currently in the middle of moving into a house basically I want abit of advice it hasn't had decent homes done as the last tenant refused them access, so now I'm left with a ****ty house the door frames are rotten the windows are plastic the kitchen has next to non cupboards even those are rotten and they are saying we are not allowed the decent homes, so just want to ask if there is someone I can go to to make this happen and get things done thank you

Decent homes will probably be done at the end of the scheme (around 2014) you need to write in and ask where in the scheme you are .

The kitchen will only have the cupboards that are required there is a set amount for the size of the house/kitchen.

If you feel the door frames are rotten report it to the repairs line and ask for an inspector for a visit get they're name and ask what their view is, if your not happy write a letter of complaint.

HOWEVER

You accepted the property after having a viewing so should have brought the issues up then, if you feel it's a ***** house then why did you accept the property council properties are for people in need and Decent Homes is meant to make properties wind & water tight a new kitchen is not a necessity

good luck,i live on the flat roof houses on the arbourthorne and they havent had ANY work done in the 40 odd years they have been up rotten. Wooden window frames no double glazing damp in bed rooms mould on the bedroom ceilings the original bathroom and toilet miss match kitchen front and back door that dont fit properly.Wasnt on the decent home scheme .so not getting modernised might be coming down in the next 5 years so doing no proper repairs only boj jobs .so got to live like this for the next 5 years then if not coming down they will do them up :@

Surely it would be a waste of money to do any substantial improvements until the decision is made whether or not your homes are going to be demolished? I can understand that it can't be great having to wait, but can you imagine the uproar if £thousands were spend on each house, then they were knocked down!

And to answer the OP, as I have always understood (and Narden Dee has pointed out), properties where the tenant declined the decent homes work will get the necessary improvements at the very end of the programme, probably in 2014.

Edited by Ms Macbeth

Whenever I have been mucked about by Sheffield Homes. I keep a diary of what has happened, include the time, date, who you spoke with and a summary of what the conversation was about. If you can take some photos of your home.

Take this evidence to your councillor (this is is the kind if thing what they are there for), who can be found here: http://councillors.sheffield.gov.uk/index.asp?pgid=215818 In my experience your complaint gets through to senior managers very quickly.

I think its wrong that Sheffield Homes should be letting out slum housing, excuses like not having the money don't wash, they increase the rent once the home has been refurbished.

K.

I don't think anyone is being mucked about, the property hasn't had any decent homes work done because the previous tenant wouldn't let Sheffield Homes do it. I very much doubt it would be classed as slum housing.

If a street or an estate has had decent homes work completed, the teams move on, and they can't return just to do the odd one. That wouldn't be cost effective. Plus, in a huge scheme like this, someone will always be last to have theirs done.

we are with Great Places, housing association and they cleared the house and the gardens and done general maintenance before we moved in.

Surely if they were prepared to do up the house for the last tenent the funding was there. If then the new tenent will allow access they should come back to do the improvements? Or am I being completely naive?

Surely if they were prepared to do up the house for the last tenent the funding was there. If then the new tenent will allow access they should come back to do the improvements? Or am I being completely naive?

Narden Dee has said they'll be done at the end of the programme, probably in 2014, and that is also my understanding. The work was planned area by area, and it makes financial sense not to go back time and again to work on odd properties but to finish the planned programme, then pick up the ones where previous tenants didn't let them do the work.

just for your infomation the discussion was taken up on viewing the house which the woman assured me it was going to be done once we moved in and also i was in need i was private renting and the woman was selling the home to which i had to leave and would you eat out of a kitchen thats covered in nicotine and the doors have fell off i doubt it and plastic windows you cant even see through, and when you say ppl are in need of these house you mean kids who are having kids asylmm seekers not ppl who 40 hrs+ a week to earn a living instead of scrounging.... but on a better note they are getting it done as we speak

Surely it would be a waste of money to do any substantial improvements until the decision is made whether or not your homes are going to be demolished? I can understand that it can't be great having to wait, but can you imagine the uproar if £thousands were spend on each house, then they were knocked down!

And to answer the OP, as I have always understood (and Narden Dee has pointed out), properties where the tenant declined the decent homes work will get the necessary improvements at the very end of the programme, probably in 2014.

you try living in a house full of mould and damp,rotton window frames cant decorate because mould just comes through.it might cost to put it right but im living in the modern day SLUM HOUSING

you try living in a house full of mould and damp,rotton window frames cant decorate because mould just comes through.it might cost to put it right but im living in the modern day SLUM HOUSING

Mod Note

Please don't snipe at Ms MacBeth, Mophead. What she is saying is absolutely correct.

You have said yourself that once the decision is made, then the houses will either be renovated or demolished. In the meantime, it is a false economy to do major works until the decision is made either way.

If you have a problem with disrepair, and have had no joy with it, then contact your councillors who are excellent in helping their constituents, and/ or housing aid.