Will they make this sort of drinks offer illegal one day?

DerbyTup

The following is taken from the Going Out section on here.

It's a venue in Sheffield who are advertising one of their events, presumably aiming at young people.

They mention the performing artists but follow it with this...

FREE ENTRY!!!

//// SOYO Live DRINKS OFFERS ////

£1 Shots / £1.50 Amstel Pint

£1.50 Spirit & Mixer

£3.50 Dbl Vodka Red Bull

£6 Desperados Bucket

£6 Cocktail Jugs

£50 Red Bull Vodka Boat

(Bottle of Vodka & 6 Red Bull)

Early Doors Offers 8pm - 10pm

£2 Cocktails / £5 Jugs / £5 House Wine

Lovely. X

And remember as always its FREE ENTRY!!!

What do you think this message conveys?

To me, this says, "come and get drunk - cheaply". It's symptomatic of the "drink culture" that is the bane of this country. "Binge Britain".

Now, you may see nothing wrong with it - it is, after all, "what young people do". But does that make it right?

Is it right to promote an event where the cheap alcohol is awarded star billing like this? Is the event about the performing artists, or the cheap booze?

I have worked for many years in regulated industries where companies and organisations have to take very great care over how they promote their business. They have to make sure they don't "mislead" or create the wrong impression.

Alcohol abuse is a SERIOUS problem in this country. It costs the taxpayer millions because it leads to many other health and social problems.

Maybe, one day, we will see this kind of advertising and promotion made illegal?

What do you think?

The following is taken from the Going Out section on here.

It's a venue in Sheffield who are advertising one of their events, presumably aiming at young people.

They mention the performing artists but follow it with this...

FREE ENTRY!!!

//// SOYO Live DRINKS OFFERS ////

£1 Shots / £1.50 Amstel Pint

£1.50 Spirit & Mixer

£3.50 Dbl Vodka Red Bull

£6 Desperados Bucket

£6 Cocktail Jugs

£50 Red Bull Vodka Boat

(Bottle of Vodka & 6 Red Bull)

Early Doors Offers 8pm - 10pm

£2 Cocktails / £5 Jugs / £5 House Wine

Lovely. X

And remember as always its FREE ENTRY!!!

What do you think this message conveys?

To me, this says, "come and get drunk - cheaply". It's symptomatic of the "drink culture" that is the bane of this country. "Binge Britain".

Now, you may see nothing wrong with it - it is, after all, "what young people do". But does that make it right?

Is it right to promote an event where the cheap alcohol is awarded star billing like this? Is the event about the performing artists, or the cheap booze?

I have worked for many years in regulated industries where companies and organisations have to take very great care over how they promote their business. They have to make sure they don't "mislead" or create the wrong impression.

Alcohol abuse is a SERIOUS problem in this country. It costs the taxpayer millions because it leads to many other health and social problems.

Maybe, one day, we will see this kind of advertising and promotion made illegal?

What do you think?

The government keeps giving a nod towards having a minimum price for alcohol but nothing ever seems to come of it. I think it's the way that these things are targeted at young people that is most worrying. You're right, it does convey a message that getting stupidly drunk is central to having a good time. What happened to going out to see a band and having a couple of halves?

I personally thin it's wrong. Mainly because it's aimed at students .. Many of whom have never lived away from home before and need to make friends. Some may be shy and we all know that alcohol lowers the inhibitions and therfore that person may use alcohol as a way of being able to communicate. Many young folks don't know their limits and this cheap booze thing isn't helping.

Bottle of vodka and 6 cans of Red Bull? Wow.

The problem with minimum pricing or clamping down on drinks promotions is that they'll penalise responsible drinkers and not actually tackle the problem. If someone wants to drink a bottle of vodka before heading out they'll just find it cheaper. Meanwhile those who just want a couple of halves will be hit in the wallet.

To my mind, all the correct laws are already in place. No need to further hassle those who drink responsibly.

Sadly, in this age I can't see it being too long before such measures are imposed.

The Spirits used at these venues, if you can call them spirits, are probably the cheapest **** available on the market or watered down. Plus now with the market being flooded with Mickey Mouse, Illegal spirits, people need to think careful exactly what is in the glass infront of them.

Ask to see the bottles first.

The Spirits used at these venues, if you can call them spirits, are probably the cheapest **** available on the market or watered down. Plus now with the market being flooded with Mickey Mouse, Illegal spirits, people need to think careful exactly what is in the glass infront of them.

Ask to see the bottles first.

So you're saying SOYO use watered down or illegal spirits?

Archived