Works on Woodseats Road railway bridge MEGATHREAD

I wasn't aware that the Liverpool-Norwich trains went anywhere near Doncaster :confused:

What's Doncaster got to do with Woodseats bridge being repaired? The trains come into Sheffield via that bridge and exit via the same route. In my experience the trains end up skipping Dore/Sheffield and going straight to/from Chesterfield.

What's Doncaster got to do with Woodseats bridge being repaired? The trains come into Sheffield via that bridge and exit via the same route. In my experience the trains end up skipping Dore/Sheffield and going straight to/from Chesterfield.

As you don't seem to have read the whole thread :rolleyes: :

It's nothing too major for us and we do this kind of thing at various points around the country each and every year at Christmas. There's another bridge going in on the approaches to the Lakeside retail outlet in Doncaster this christmas period too and that's probably a good 7 or 8 times bigger than this bridge

that's useful to know :) a project that's well overdue!!

As you don't seem to have read the whole thread :rolleyes: :

Yes I did :rolleyes:

I wrongly quoted you as I thought you were talking about the Woodseats Road Bridge so apologies for that.

I kinda like old stone railway bridges, no doubt they'll replace it with a crappy steel one like they did at Wadsley Bridge

I kinda like old stone railway bridges, no doubt they'll replace it with a crappy steel one like they did at Wadsley Bridge

Well the stone bridge will need pointing every few years, and regular detailed inspections, whereas a bridge with metal or concrete span will require much less maintenance and so therefore will be much less of a burden to the railways.

It is probably also much safer as there is vastly less chance of a piece of masonary falling on a train or on to the rails.

Stone bridges don't need painting

Stone bridges don't need painting

Neither do concrete or most metal ones.

pointing is nothing like painting, is it ?

Indeed, I live round there for 4 years and was wondering if it'd ever get done :)

I'd guess the only disruption to train services is that they'll take the goods line round the back of Sheffield so will take longer, plus the Liverpool/Norwich type trains will skip Sheffield?

There are no trains running to disrupt.... That's why we do them over the Christmas period. Last train will be Christmas eve evening then the first train after the christmas break will be around 0500-0600 Tuesday morning. ;)

Cheers

Dave.

Am I the only one?

I've been waiting for them to fix the bridge and reinstate the bus stops for five years but damn is it a pain in the arse?!

Only five years thinks its been longer than that.

I would be very surprised if the bus stop on the up side was reinstated - note this is speculation on my part but it would surprise me if theat went back in.

On the subject of the noise have you contacted the contractor to give them your views

Good luck over Christmas, it's gonna get a lot worse.