Cycle safe - will Sheffield people support it?

molly44

isnt the government going to make cyclist have a registration plate ?. i am sure i heard somewhere that they are, in which case the number of cyclist will nose dive anyway.

if that happens though you know the next step? that will be making them pay a road tax. now if thats a minimum amount, like say the lowest cc mopeds why not?. so making cyclist conform to wearing lets say a helmet and a hi vis jacket well thats bound to save lives in the long run.

Never going to happen...

if there is money to be made, you never know!!

Well, there is that of course. :)

I cycle thousands of miles a year, so I'm all for cycle safety. The biggest improvements which would help safety, is frankly for there to be more of us. Cycling has safety in numbers.

To increase numbers, an activity has to be accessible and straightforward. The minute you start sticking legislation in the way, taxes (which cyclists already pay) red tape, helmets and hi-viz, it's just a huge turn off.

The other aspect is education. For cyclists and drivers. Some cyclists are ignorant of the rules as are some drivers. Witness the threads you get from some drivers on here, stating as fact that it's illegal to ride two abreast. Which is wrong.

And enforcement of traffic law. :)

Well, lets hope the push works anyway!

The CTC have cycling champions, but it would be good to see a person in an "official" capacity forcing through better facilities for cyclists. On the proviso that he or she is doing it in a non-segregational way, and actually knows what they're talking about!

I cycle thousands of miles a year, so I'm all for cycle safety. The biggest improvements which would help safety, is frankly for there to be more of us. Cycling has safety in numbers.

To increase numbers, an activity has to be accessible and straightforward. The minute you start sticking legislation in the way, taxes (which cyclists already pay) red tape, helmets and hi-viz, it's just a huge turn off.

It should be personal choice.

The biggest single safety improvement for cyclists is for there to be more of us. There should be no compulsion for helmets.

The more obstacles (and expense) placed in the way of people getting into cycling makes them say "ah, sod it." Concerns about helmet use also gives the impression that cycling is more dangerous than it actually is, which will discourage cycling.

Australia introduced obligatory helmet use. Cycling levels took a dive.

:thumbsup: totally agree.

Isn't it also true that head injuries increased when australia brought in compulsory helmet laws?

http://www.cycle-helmets.com/

A tired cyclist stuck his thumb out for a lift: After 3 hours, hadn't got anyone to stop. Finally, a guy in a sports car pulled over and offered him a ride. But the bike wouldn't fit in the car. The driver got some rope out of the trunk and tied it to his bumper. He tied the other end to the bike and told the rider: "If I go too fast, ring your bell and I'll slow down."

Everything went well until another sports car blew past them. The driver forgot all about the cyclist and put his foot down. A short distance down the road, they hammered through a speed trap. The cop with the radar gun and radioed ahead that he had two sports cars heading his way at over 150 mph. He then relayed, "and you're not going to believe this, but there's a cyclist behind them ringing his bell to pass!".