Cycle safe - will Sheffield people support it?

molly44

so when your, lets say hit from behind, or have a vehicle just pull out in front of you. then its you, the cyclist fault because they didn't position, or signal, or anticipate that would happen?. its not just a case of the vehicle just not seeing you because you might have been wearing dark clothing

The clothing is a complete irrelevance

In the "hit from the rear" scenario you allude to, it is the motorist's fault for driving without due care and attention (assuming correct and lawful lighting on the part of the cyclist in poor visibility)

Otherwise cars could crash into black cars with impunity due to the cars not being painted in luminous paint

Safe cycling (and walking for that matter), will be better promoted by the widespread adoption of 20mph limits in areas where people live, and the introduction of "strict liability laws" as are common in much of Northern Europe (where cycling is treated as a normal mode of transport, and is safe with or without polystyrene hats).

http://www.copenhagencyclechic.com/2012/01/as-black-as-gold.html

I note that Manchester Lib Dems today proposed a motion which was unanimously agreed by Councillors of all parties to implement a default 20mph limit on all non major residential roads in Manchester.

Conservative controlled Lancashire CC has already committed itself to a default residential speed limit of 20mph.

i know its a question of choice, but really there is no reason why you shouldn't wear at least a helmet.

It should be personal choice.

The biggest single safety improvement for cyclists is for there to be more of us. There should be no compulsion for helmets.

The more obstacles (and expense) placed in the way of people getting into cycling makes them say "ah, sod it." Concerns about helmet use also gives the impression that cycling is more dangerous than it actually is, which will discourage cycling.

Australia introduced obligatory helmet use. Cycling levels took a dive.

isnt the government going to make cyclist have a registration plate ?. i am sure i heard somewhere that they are, in which case the number of cyclist will nose dive anyway.

if that happens though you know the next step? that will be making them pay a road tax. now if thats a minimum amount, like say the lowest cc mopeds why not?. so making cyclist conform to wearing lets say a helmet and a hi vis jacket well thats bound to save lives in the long run.

isnt the government going to make cyclist have a registration plate ?. i am sure i heard somewhere that they are, in which case the number of cyclist will nose dive anyway.

if that happens though you know the next step? that will be making them pay a road tax. now if thats a minimum amount, like say the lowest cc mopeds why not?. so making cyclist conform to wearing lets say a helmet and a hi vis jacket well thats bound to save lives in the long run.

There is no such thing as “road tax” it was replaced by vehicle excise duty (VED), which is based on emissions, this is why some low emission cars are exempt.

Therefore bicycles would also be exempt.

Archived