Taxi Driver Offering Money

Me and a friend had just got in a taxi when a scrap wagon backed up and scraped all the bonet of the car and put considerable dents in it. The taxi driver was stationery for a minute or two before the bloke reversed into him and it was clearly the scrap mans fault. We provided our names/addresses and telephnoe number as witnesses, and he called us asking if we had any neck injury and letting us know that it could develop over the next few days as we said no being honest. However, today, he phoned again offering £300 to each of us and is sending us some forms out, we have to get a check over by a doctor and then sign and return this form. Why is he offering us £300 a piece? Any ideas?

Maybe he will get an extra insurance payout if his passengers were injured?

EDIT TO ADD: "IF YOU DO" Do it though, may be a couple grand in it for you (whiplash claims) :|

Edited by Leah-Lacie
To try and make it clear i was answering the OP not suggesting anything, as some people are way too serious :D

Me and a friend had just got in a taxi when a scrap wagon backed up and scraped all the bonet of the car and put considerable dents in it. The taxi driver was stationery for a minute or two before the bloke reversed into him and it was clearly the scrap mans fault. We provided our names/addresses and telephnoe number as witnesses, and he called us asking if we had any neck injury and letting us know that it could develop over the next few days as we said no being honest. However, today, he phoned again offering £300 to each of us and is sending us some forms out, we have to get a check over by a doctor and then sign and return this form. Why is he offering us £300 a piece? Any ideas?

You honestly can't work that out?

Injury lawyer.....sponge it out maybe get £1500/£2000, take £600 off for you two which gives him a nice little £900/£1400 for doing nowt! ;)

But I don't have whiplash or anything like that?

If it develops then I would do. But why is he offering 300 when there could be a few k up for grabs?

@highflyerjak, I thought about that, but surely he cannot claim on behalf of us?

But I don't have whiplash or anything like that?

If it develops then I would do. But why is he offering 300 when there could be a few k up for grabs?

1. I know you don't have wiplash and you do and so does he but the doctor can prove you don't can they? ;)

2. He'll give you £300 and keep the rest!

And this is why insurance premiums are so high!!

I've had a lot of friends involved in minor crashes who have gone to the doctors with fake injuries and been paid out. Never been unfortunate enough to be involved in a crash myself. You don't have to be injured it would seem, just able to convince someone that your neck hurts a bit.

It may possibly be all in the same claim, I don't know

Maybe he will get an extra insurance payout if his passengers were injured?

Do it though, may be a couple grand in it for you (whiplash claims) :|

Dont do it! :rant: you would be wasting your time. Drs and physios etc know how to check for frauds.. and its illegal to make a false insurance claim. They could prosecute you if they found out you had accepted a bribe.

So can the taxi driver actually claim on our behalf?

No. You don't know how a bribe works do you? :suspect:

because he is dishonest and trying to commit insurance fraud - or rather he is trying to get you to commit fraud; he'll just pass on your forms saying you have an injury you do not have.

He will get the payout as the policy holder (£2k per passenger I would have thought) and pass it on to you - well - some of it. You lie and break the law, he makes money. We all pay more for insurance. Simple.

Of course if he or you are caught, you will never get insurance again and will get a crimianl record.

I'd be tempted to confront him about it. If you can get more evidence and pass it on to the authorties that'd be great - my car insurance is ridiculous now!